dry ice

benweblight

Guest lightnix
Many years ago our school managed to blag all the dry ice we needed, for FREE, from a local ice cream maker :o Sadly they didn't throw in any free ice cream :o

Firstly, I'd look at some of the modern heavy fog machines which are really quite good and much less hassle.

As for CO2 turning liquid, try shaking a CO2 fire extinguisher and what do you hear? Also some fog chillers (the Rosco Coldflow springs to mind) run off liquid CO2.

Try the Heavy fogger from Coeamar, its pretty damm good and takes normal Ice, not dry ice. Now at my college Coemar were great to us and leant it to use, and our local pub gave us all the ice we needed, so an hour before the show we nipped up there with a bucket and got a bucket of ice. No storage issues!!

an hour before the show we nipped up there with a bucket and got a bucket of ice. No storage issues!!

Bear in mind that the storage issues under discussion here relate to dry ice (i.e. solid carbon dioxide), as opposed to ordinary ice. It's a whole different ball game.

major storage and operation issues come into play when using a liqiud Co2 bottle for the le maitre systems - i.e. all the pipes involved become VERY cold - not good if the only place to store the bottles is in the wings. LSG (low smoke generators) can be a good solution but they can also make a racket. Best way of making dry ice is using le maitre pea soupers and being carefull with dry ice.

Also try your local large theatre to see if they have any dry ice containers - or when ordering from BOC (order the small slabs) ask that they leave the transportation crate - we got one at uni and it keeps dry ice for around a week if your careful with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived