dry ice

benweblight

my schools next drama production is going to be a christmas carol

I am thinking we should use dry ice for the spooky bits

1) do you think this is a good idea/have done before

2) tips on usu-age, storage, cheapest hire in cotwolds etc.

There's a hire compant in oxford called star-tech who will do a heater and next door is a supplier of dry ice. Their price of dry-ice is £50.00 for 20kg and a further £10.00 for 10kg lots.

The heater is £18.00 for a 3kw one the ducting if you want it is £5.00 for 5 meters.

Although it may be cheeper to use a heavy fogger.

BOC gasses tend to be quite cheap for dry ice, they will (or at least would) also hire you a vented, insulated storage container.

You need to arange it so you store it for as short a time as possible and store it in a cool, well ventilated place, prefrably in a polystyrene box or something similar. If you intend to transport it in a car keep the window open to stop you from suffocating.

I think thats prety much it, needless to say you will have to do a risk assesment covering very cold solids, very hot liquids and possible asphyxiation...oh yeah, and don't poke it without insulated gloves on! :o

can we use if for ice for the rap party? :o

If there's any left at the end of the week, throwing some lumps of it into the urinals in the gents' is always a giggle! It looks pretty similar to those little blocks of chemicals that the cleaners put in, until a hot stream hits it ..... :o

Not that I'm condoning any sort of larking about with hazardous materials, you understand ..... :P

With those prices I think you also get the hire of a contanier.

I heard that if you get a washing up bowl and fill with warm/hot soapy water lob in a block of dry-ice you produce enought foam to fill a toilet cubical/phone box/simila sized rooms

Another thing NOT to do with it is putting some in an empty plastic bottle, putting the lid on tight and running away. It will explode and there will be much shrapnel!

Note that this is quite dangerous and shouldn't be done by anyone, ever and I have certainly never done it!

On a serious note the safest way of getting rid of any spare is to leave it outside in an isolated area to turn into a gas (what the hell is it called when a solid turns to a gas without being a liquid at any stage, I always forget).

I thought carbon dioxide simply does not ever become a liquid, it has nothing to do with the fact that its a small stage as your post implied. I cant remember the word either, 'supercritical' comes to mind but im not sure... *googles*

[edit] ignore that, I was wrong, (see second post)

Archived