Pat Testing

Matt

my college have taken pat testing so seriously that it is now one persons job! it is the most dull and repetitive jobs anyone can ever get. it's also like the forth bridge - it never ends. I asked him if there was one things he'd come accross that fails more. he said IEC mains leads, and then mentioned he'd just cut the plug off mine and thrown it in the bin!

One example of something that doesn't get a full PAT as most people think of it is our par64s. These tend to get quite badly treated but we have found that a regular good visual inspection including checking the cable for bumps and dents is fine.

I've found that PAR cans were one of our worst offenders. The black finish made earth continuity dubious, and all units now have a proper earth bolt, not just a rivet.

I understand that the finish can make it difficult to get low resistance between the tester and the shell but this does not affect the safety of the item.

If you took this to the extereme and has the whole thing plastic coated then it would fail the earth bond test because the tester couldn't make a good connection and yet be extremely safe if it developed a fault because you could never touch a live part.

This is, of course, pretty much what a class 2 appliance is and demonstrates why the person doing the testing needs to know what they are doing (having been trained), as does this...

I asked him if there was one things he'd come accross that fails more. he said IEC mains leads,...

unless they are physically damaged there is little reason to fail an IEC lead. Sounds like he's testing to the wrong standard.

Testing a Selecon Pacific is interesting in that the only earthed metal part is buried inside the plastic lamphousing. The way forward is to clip a screwdriver into the tester and poke it through a hole in the base.

• 6 months later...
The way forward is to clip a screwdriver into the tester and poke it through a hole in the base.

Pah! Sounds like I should have done that with a tracing table I was having problems with today.

Sorry to drag this back up, it is the only recent PAT related topic, and I don't think this question needs a new topic.

Has anybody been looking at the PATGuard software from Seaward? Or more to the point, can anybody get anything to scroll through a logical order, ie test 1,2,3,4,5.., and print in that order? My boss' new and fully paid one is driving us both up the wall compared to our old DOS version. We can't select the order it prints, but can change all the other settings. Handing something to a customer ordered 18,21,19,30.1,4,2,5,7..is not good. It is not an alphabetical sort either.

Just thought I'd ask before consigning to file B1N!

BTW I have just earnt enough money PAT testing, to cover the cost of PAT course, PAT Tester, Barcode reader, labels, only to blow front tyre on way home, sods law that!

One example of something that doesn't get a full PAT as most people think of it is our par64s. These tend to get quite badly treated but we have found that a regular good visual inspection including checking the cable for bumps and dents is fine.

Our Par64's also take a battering but get PAT tested every year. This hasn't stopped a)Me getting a belt off one just recently b)some one else a while back getting same, though the one he was got with was a silver tomcat rather than a normal painted par64

Our Par64's also take a battering but get PAT tested every year. This hasn't stopped a)Me getting a belt off one just recently b)some one else a while back getting same, though the one he was got with was a  silver tomcat rather than a normal painted par64

In that case, an annual inspection is insufficient and your inspector is failing in his duty of care. The requirements of the CoP include a "Risk assessment" section (7.3 & 7.4) that can reduce the period between tests; however the test is only good for the day it was done, a bit like the MOT.

Archived