500w Floods.

LordAJ

Hello.

I need to wire some flood lights. But as im not an electritian I dont know anything about what heat resistance cable I need to use. The floods a 500W halogen tube. Does anyone know what type of cable to use? Or any resources that I can bookmark that have this sort of information?

Thanks

As have been said loads of times on here, 'If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it'. I have had to go back to college to do my C&G in Electrotechnical Technology because of certain rulings coming that are being put in place in many Theatres in South Wales.

Having said that 0.75mm or 1.0mm H05 or H07 cable would be OK to use on 500w floods.

Ask the manufacturer of the luminaires.

This is the *only* answer anyone here can give, because we don't know which part of the luminaire you're talking about (Internal, external) or what the unit is.

Hello.

I need to wire some flood lights. But as im not an electritian I dont know anything about what heat resistance cable I need to use. The floods a 500W halogen tube. Does anyone know what type of cable to use? Or any resources that I can bookmark that have this sort of information?

Thanks

a cheap source of High temp cable, is to go to you local rubbish tip and find old kitchen equipment and remove the high temp cables from them, the covering on the wire should look like a woven fibreglass, any equipment that runs in a hot enviroment should have high temp cables in them, things such as capacino machines and dish washers are a good start.

a cheap source of High temp cable, is to go to you local rubbish tip and find old kitchen equipment and remove the high temp cables from them, the covering on the wire should look like a woven fibreglass, any equipment that runs in a hot enviroment should have high temp cables in them, things such as capacino machines and dish washers are a good start.

With respect, that is not a good idea. Apart from the issues that the local council may have with people scavenging at a waste transfer site (WEEE, EPA 1990 etc.), how will the cable hunter differentiate between a Chlorosulphonated polyethylene outer jacket and a piece of old, hardened PVC? What if the lamp you are wiring calls for a specific cable and you can't find the correct replacement? Perhaps less likely, you might even find that what you thought was woven fibreglass turns out to be asbestos.

Although admittedly there's plenty of good stuff thrown out, how will you know that the scavenged cable is electrically OK and is better than the stuff you are replacing?

I can't see the logic in trying to repair a luminaire with second hand, wet, discarded and potentially damaged cable.

Simon

Totally agree with Simon, using second hand cabling is potentially dangerous (fire, electrocution, etc.)

If the lamps are Strand Coda's you'll need to use a silicon type cable for the external power (HO7 RN-F 3G1)

If the lamps are a basic lamp (Homebase, B&Q etc.) again use either HO5 or the HO7.

If in doubt as has been said many times on the BR consult an electrician.

Archived