Well known names with problems?

indyld

The thing that shocks (and infuriates) me about this is that they have done this, screwed a LOT of freelancers over, and suddenly they open up as PSLL (a new PSL) and are trading again. I know that PSLL are doing at least one event previously done by PSL in years before...

Well they would do they are effectively the same company in all but name {and liabilities)

Depending which versions of bankruptcy the courts see fits the image, you CAN sometimes be struck off as a company director
Simple. As far as I know (and I may be wrong here) but it makes a difference if you voluntarily go into receivership or are forced.

Also you can be barred from being a director if you are a director of a company that goes bust, so all you have to do is resign as director before it goes bust!

When I started my company (just my wife and I) I wanted us to both be directors. I was told to only have one director so if we went bust we could start up the next day with her as director

If you know that directors are resigning you know what's going to happen.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"From what I've heard they are setting up as Presentation Services London and are looking for freelancers! "

That indeed is correct. Even though they have been bust more times than I've had hot dinners our own greed and paranoia as freelancers takes over.

When / if they phone, think do you like working for free ?

Do I want the stress of chasing payments for 90 days ?

The answers no, and your skills and experiance is worth more than being fobbed off. You've made an investment in you and your worth more than that. Listen to your head not your paranoia !

Politely tell them no, and if we all stand up to them then perhaps they will go for good this time !

I think in these "credit crunch" times, it is not prudent to turn down offers of work from companies, however as a free-lance sub-contractor you are not obliged to extend credit to your employer, there is nothing wrong with accepting a job and asking for payment up front, especially with companies with a poor payment reputation.

They however do not have to accept your terms, but they can either choose to employ you or not, if I were freelance at this time I would certainly be seeking these kind of terms, as a technician I am not in business to finance production companies.

As an employer I am not sure how I would react if any of my crew were to demand payment upfront, however I guess I will have to see what happens.

P.

We've already had two freelancers inform us that it will be payment before show for one off from now on. I'm not entirely sure that this is great way of guaranteeing that you'll be a busy person but I can't say that I don't see both sides of it. Considering that its pretty common practice for companies to ask for anywhere from 25 to 75% before turning up to a show you can't be surprised if the freelancers want the same.

The irony is that if everyone just paid on invoice no one would need to hold onto money to cover for money they haven't been paid yet. Maybe we should all get jobs at the Olympics where they have a paid within 18 days of invoice policy!

The irony is that if everyone just paid on invoice no one......

Indeed...

We have taken a policy as of January that all new clients need to pay 75% up front, and all existing clients need to pay at least 25-50% up front. Enforcing the policy with existing long term clients is prooving harder said than done though. I wouldn't want to pay freelancers upfront, but I do understand it from both sides....

P.

We have had a similar policy since a major tour fell over a few years ago and left the company with about 80K worth of unpaid invoices. The problem we have is that it tends to be friendly & repeat clients that you fail to credit check before every job. Cue phone calls at 7AM saying come and get your system the venue/tour/festival/studio has gone poof!

The same goes for freelancers I guess although I forget how many times I've lost money by people I've worked for evaporating or missing PD's off invoices for 18 months. It unfortunately goes with the self employed territory.

A fair wage for a fair day brother worker?

We have taken a policy as of January that all new clients need to pay 75% up front, and all existing clients need to pay at least 25-50% up front. Enforcing the policy with existing long term clients is prooving harder said than done though. I wouldn't want to pay freelancers upfront, but I do understand it from both sides....

That's a bit one-sided, isn't it? If it's OK for you to ask your clients for a part-payment in advance of a job, why isn't it OK for a freelancer to ask their client (i.e. you!) for a part-payment upfront? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and all that ...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived