Where do I draw the line?

ceecrb1

OK, so our tech manager left monday for a far better job in madrid.

Since 9am tuesday, a different person has been looking for me every, 10-15 mins, non stop.

In this week, I havn't met the work load I normally do in one day!!!

The point is, so far this week, I´ve been told to call clients to clear things up.

I´ve been called at 9.30 at night by a client on my personal mobile as someone from the office gave it to the client.

I´m being "pushed" to organce a VERY big christmas job.

I´ve been dumped with the problem that 2 people have sold the same 2 led screens, twice.

Where should I draw the line.

And more importantly.

HOW!? without being fired!

There are a lot of people "being let go" at the moment, and I cant afford it. But the fact is I came to spain to be with my wonderfull spanish girlfriend, not to work at work, then do more at home.

This is what the ex-tech manager did... and his wife left him last month for this. Funnily enough I DONT want that.

I'd suggest that you approach your line manager and tell him you're not clear on what your new duties are. Ask him to give you a written job description clearly outlining your roles and responsibilities. They have a right to expect you to be flexible but not to put up with things that are too far above and beyond what you're contracted (and paid) to do.

It would be reasonable to point out that since you're now doing the job of two people they can either give you an assistant or more money to make up for the extra work. If you want to advance in your career with them I would avoid refusing to do things, this doesn't give the impression of someone who will be an asset to the company. Offering the solution of taking over the role and making it work (for reasonable remuneration) offers a solution to their problem and makes you look helpful and switched on.

Funnily enough I was just talking to one of our guys an hour ago about how I expect someone to show the aptitude and attitude to deserve a promotion before they would get it.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Thinking about it a bit more I'd also suggest working out a system for out of hours. If they want you to be on call, they pay a retainer for the time you are available to answer the phone and then pay an agreed rate for each call/hour spent working.

sorry I did miss out.... I have been through these stages.

I havemade it very clear.. verbally and in writing, that before the boss left I am doing what, last year, 4 people did, and I am alone, and that I am unable to complete all tasks to the high standards that I like. some things are being left un-done and clients unhappy.

I am stuck between, (I was a boss in the past) understanding that someone has to do the work, and that I get nothing in return.

Truthfully I also dont want the position. Like I said before, my girlfriend is the most important thing in my life and this job wont be worth the stress and the time without her.

If things are that bad and they haven't been able to make it better to be honest I'd resign. Then one of two things will happen: they'll either find out how much you were doing and offer to take you back for oodles of money with three assistants or you'll find another job that can't really be much worse than the one you're in. Either way you lose the stress and make the point that you were really unhappy with the whole situation.

If things are that bad and they haven't been able to make it better to be honest I'd resign. Then one of two things will happen: they'll either find out how much you were doing and offer to take you back for oodles of money with three assistants or you'll find another job that can't really be much worse than the one you're in. Either way you lose the stress and make the point that you were really unhappy with the whole situation.

This is something I want to do.

However unemployment is extremely high due to "the crisis" and this company is typical of this industry in valencia, infact it is know as "one of the better companies"

I am not the boss. I am still under the job title of my original contract. "Repair Technician"

My current role in the company goes as such:

Repair tech

Sole sound/video tech.

Incharge of video/ sound warehouse

" of all space cannon search lights

" of all LED screens.

" of our maintenence contract at a local cinema complex

" of specing kit/cabling for gigs.

" cableing the new 10 camera OB truck (which has to be finnised by last day of this month and we havent done 20% of the cables yet... let alone connectors!!!!).

"incharge of" basically means no-one else knows how to or is capable of doing.

So. I am not "boss" I have no power to hire anyone.

MagicQueser: so what you do? :rolleyes: send a cv! oh and learn spanish... but its fun!

"incharge of" basically means no-one else knows how to or is capable of doing.

So. I am not "boss" I have no power to hire anyone.

But that does sound like some of the power is on your side of the negotiations, "please help me or I'll have to consider walking as this is not what I've been contracted to do and I'm being given no support."

You should also complain about your personal mobile phone number being given out to clients. If the company expects you to be on-call they should provide a mobile for that purpose and not give out your personal number.

If your not happy, then quit your moaning, hand in your notice and find a 9 till 5 job in the local supermarket.

.......and buy yourself that PA system so you can start slowly growing your own business.

If your not happy, then quit your moaning, hand in your notice and find a 9 till 5 job in the local supermarket.

.......and buy yourself that PA system so you can start slowly growing your own business.

Thanks for the helpfull comments pete.

Mark, yes that is the plan after the new year......

Todays update:

Aparntly I will be accompanying the director on next months visit to China, where he will be buying knock-off LED screens.

aparently I am to act as "technical advisor" and "translator"

They even booked it without consulting me first and used my passport number which they had on reccord for a security pass at a past job.

This is a toughy...

PROs:

free week in china.

CONs:

I´m morraly completely agains buying knock-offs.

Its another large step past my payrole and my contracted role in the company.

They didnt ask me first... not really a con, just down-right rude if u ask me.

It sounds to me as if you are getting to the point where you should be saying 'actually guys you are taking the piss here' but only you can judge if this will loose you your job and whether you can deal with that.

Archived