quick release

chris512

hi all,

I've just been asked by a performing arts A level group if its possible to have a bag of monolopy money "explode"/"open" over the stage at the end of their performance. I, of course said yes and now I'm just thinking about how to physically achieve this :wub:

I'm thinking that the easiest way is to attach the bag to a hemp bar and then using possibly a pin attached to a cable or something to hold the bag until such time when I need to release it. I know that you can get the devices that do this using a switch (such as when the tabs are released from a bar) but what are these called, price etc ??

if anyone has any other ideas they are more than welcome!

thanx

The "pin and piece" of string method you are thinking of is by far the cheapest and simplest. You can get magnetic releases - often used for Kabuki drops, see This thread on Drop Magnets and possibly also this thread on Kabuki drops but they are going to cost you more money.

If you go the pin and string method make sure you ensure the pin doesn't fall or dangle too much after it's been pulled. Is the "bag" seen? May be easier to rig a drop box instead if it's not.

Post back for clarification / drop bag or box design concepts.

Topic moved to Staging and Rigging

Fill a confetti cartridge with (appropriately flame retardant) Monopoly Money? It would definitely be spectacular.

(Note, I am only suggesting this. As with all things, make sure you have taken the necessary precautions, filled in the right paperwork, and above all are competent to do the task at hand)

Am I right in thinking that you just want to have a load of Monopoly money drop from the grid to the floor at a certain point in the show?

There are a few really simple and cheap ways to achieve this. You could build a drop box - a box with no top (for loading) and a hinged bottom that's held closed with a pin hinge. Hang it from a fly bar, with a trigger line (thin black para-cord, or similar) tied to the pin and running through a few eyes or small pulleys to the point of operation (e.g. fly floor). On cue, give this line a sharp tug - pin comes out, box flops open, money falls, job done.

Or if you want a slightly more controlled, gradual drop, you could use a snowbag-like contraption. A fabric or PVC 'sling' hung between two flying bars like a trough. Load it with the money, then fly the two bars out level. On cue, raise one bar above the other, and the money will fall out over the low side. The higher you raise it, the more the money falls out.

My drop was basically a large 1m x 1m box with 2 flaps and a very basic pin release. It was for a get your own back type game where we replaces gunge with shreded paper and baloons etc, it worked realy really well :wub: If you want to kno more PM me

thanks all,

sorry I haven't replied till now!

just to clarifiy the box/bag (I believe) doesn't need to be seeen and its just the effect of money from the grid they are after.

with our budget (of near enough zero, because its an exam piece) I'm thinking that pin hinge/box is sounding good. unfortanley although our college has a lot of nice technical stuff, a fly tower isn't one :unsure: . So I'm thinking of placing the aforementioned box on a hemp bar that we have a border on, and then running back said cable along the bar and then down to prompt corner (making sure it doesn't present any garrotting problems :D ).

just checking with the open box idea, whats the best way to support the box on to the bar if the bottom has to open? safety bonds the easiest way to go?

cheers

Archived