european v british health and saftey

themadhippy

During a recent visit to amsterdam I couldn't help noticing many things that would give the british H+S inspectors nightmares

example 1

A bridge was being resurfaced,the area fenced of so the public couldn't get near the works,there was however no barriers at the sides of the bridge to stop anyone working on the bridge from falling into the water 15-20 foot below,no sign safety lines or bouancy aids,and no safety boat

example 2

major renovations of a canalside propety,the whole of the downstairs area was open,revealing a 6 foot drop to the floor below,no barriers to stop anyone from falling in from street level, a generator and air compressor placed alongside the building on the footpath with the usual cables and pipes snaking across the path and into the building.no barriers,no cable or pipe covers.not even a bit of gaffa to stop the public from tripping over them

example 3

a scaffold tower outside a house,again on the footpath without waring lights or barriers of any type,the scaff was the full height of the building (4 floors) , no outriggers or toe boards, it was there for the 5 days of my stay

example 4

due to the design of the older amsterdam propetys its impossible to get large items up the stairs,so they have a beam at the top of the building with a pulley,so large items can be hauled up the outside of the building and in through the window,on several ocassions I saw these being used,on 1 occasion a grand piano was being delivered,again without any barriers or warning signs,

we are often being told the the H+S legislation is down to EEC harmony,if this is the case how do the dutch get away with it? or is it a case of the british becoming a nanny state.

I don't think it's about a Nanny State but it may be that we are stricter at complying with some regs. Having said that, have you ever seen scaffolds at work in this country. You rarely see them wearing any PPE and they are usually quite happy to erect and dismantle while people walk past on the street below with little or no warnings or barriers. I am sure that we in the theatre industry confirm more to changing legislation than those in the building or other industries, which is ironic since it is often accidents in those industries that result in the changes in the first place.

And to completely contradict you - Working in France last year, I had neglected to bring the flame retardantcy (sp?) certificate for some cloths we were using. The local Fire Office insisted on setting light to a bit to check it and was not happy that it burnt, even though it went out the moment the match was taken away. He said it was not up to spec. When I said that that was normally acceptable in the UK he replied - "well we're all in Europe now".

Day before yesterday in Cannes - local fire officer wanted to see the fire certificate for some felt - duly produced. She then asked to see the certificates for the other felt - same felt different colour. Local (felt supplying exhibition type) contractors went into anger orbit and the Fire Officer slunk away embarrased. Minor amusement all round.

Sorry to take this off-topic so soon, and to such a great distance. (Across the Atlantic)

If you read "Fast Food Nation" you will;

a) Never eat a burger again.

b) Be very glad that we have an HSE that is largely independent of government interference.

c) Be extraordinarily glad we have a government largely independent of influence by big business.

I've not named the burger chain that gets the most criticism as they are likely to sue my ass off (possibly mincing it and selling it to an unsuspecting public, without testing for bacteriological contamination) and close the Blue Room down in double quick time. They sue if you criticize their food over there!

Archived