Headphones

revbobuk

Wondered what people liked for live sound use. I guess good isolation, adequate power handling, solid construction are all important. Or is it just what you happen to pick up? Do they have to cost serious money, or are there bargains out there? We need a couple or three new sets for our church PA, and don't want to shell out for DT100s if there's a better option at lower cost...

There are plenty of much better headphones around than DT100s - they clamp your ears, they make your ears sweat, they aren't very revealing - but they are pretty good for isolation, they can be repaired easily with all the spares available, they seem to really last, take abuse etc.

If isolation isn't too much of an issue, then I personally like Sennheisers - HD25s for something good and small, or for something a bit bigger, but still pleasant to wear, HD350s. I've had a wear of the HD280PROs they sounded rather nice and were much more comfortable than the DTs and less than £100. I suspect I may well treat myself to these next time.

If you want DTs - consider the 150, not 100s. They do sound better - brighter and less 'boxy'.

At the end of the day it is very much a personal choice. Some people prefer open back - others closed. Some even like in-ear jobbies!

Personally, I use a pair of DT150's - comfortable, good isolation and better LF response than the DT100's.

Our customers have been purchasing a lot of the Sennheiser units with good success. The HD280Pros (£94.00) as Paul suggests are rather good. For a more budget option, take a look at the HD205 (£27.00)

Steve

I've hit upon the Sennheiser HD25's and found that nothing else seems to work so universally well for me, except the HD25SP's I also own. Perhaps these days I just know these sets too well to want to move onto anything else?

It depends. DT100s (and DT150s if you've got the cash) are literally indestructible, and will easily see you for the next 15 years. It may be a false economy in a multi-user environment to buy less robust, cheaper ones which are likely to break. Having said that, if you must then you could go for the Sennheiser HD200s or just the bargain basement behringer, both of which have good enough isolation.

M

One of the things I'm concerned about is the cable. I use a pair of beyer DT231 at home - lovely sound, very comfortable, quite solid shells. But the cable is relatively thin and I'd be concerned it would be damaged easily. I know the DT100 and 150 have replaceable cables - do any of the others?

Yep the HD25 and HD25SP also have replaceable cables (they unplug), they're pretty robust as well because they're steel cored (like tiny lift cables!). If they do fail it's usually because they've failed where they're connected at either end.

I agree the DT100's keep your ears rather warm (and are a little heavy) but that's the price you pay for such good noise isolation..after all they're used in recording studios all over the place. Sennheiser do some pretty passable high isolation semi-pro ones (such as the type often used in record shops) as well, all at good prices.

The best advice has already been said..try some out for yourself. We all have different shaped ears.

Archived