I want to make a very basic cue system.

stuartm

er.... stuart? the little circles labelled 1,2,3 are the chassis socket pins - the centre section is an XLR cable, with the other side having the opposite sex connector.

I practice, you'd build this in two boxes, using an XLR fitted cable to connect the two.

If you have never taken apart an XLR plug - this project might be a bit tough - as it involves a bit of soldering, some hole punching and wiring. You ok with this?

Just decided to pinch the idea, and knocked one of these up myself this afternoon. One alteration - I decided I'd rather have the resistor in the box with the battery, so that a fault in the cable doesn't leave the battery seeing a short circuit. And I know the real thing isn't exactly expensive, but this does also serve as a rudimentary cable tester for an XLR lead! The idea of a second (push to break) switch to flash an acknowledge is very neat.

Having finished one of these (and I agree about the choice of LED comments above) I would with hindsight have done it slightly differently. Instead of using a switch on the sender for each LED, I would use a switch that is 3 position, centre off, latch in one direction, momentary in the other (Maplin FH02C) at the sender end. So flip the switch to the latched position (orange LED comes on), wait for the blink to acknowledge, then flip to the latching 'go' position (orange LED off, green LED comes on till you let go). And I'd not bother with the 'blink' switch on the 'go' LED. Makes the whole thing even simpler.

Having finished one of these (and I agree about the choice of LED comments above) I would with hindsight have done it slightly differently. Instead of using a switch on the sender for each LED, I would use a switch that is 3 position, centre off, latch in one direction, momentary in the other (Maplin FH02C) at the sender end. So flip the switch to the latched position (orange LED comes on), wait for the blink to acknowledge, then flip to the latching 'go' position (orange LED off, green LED comes on till you let go). And I'd not bother with the 'blink' switch on the 'go' LED. Makes the whole thing even simpler.

I was intending to use a switch like this anyway, don't thinnk I will have an aknowledge button though.

Archived