Rack Flightcases

fatfrog

Hi Lads

Does anyone know anywhere where I can purchase rack flightcases that have wheels on the rear lid rather than on the bottom, I'd much prefer to have the wheels removed whilst in use,Oh and it makes it not as tall either.

Preferably online if that's ok

Regards,

Alan

My amp racks are constructed similarly to what your specifying, they were made by flightcase warehouse.

decoupled, skids top and bottom and wheels on the front lid, gear travels face down when rolling causes much less damage, pics available on request.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Don't let flightcase warehouse use their cheap wheels on your cases they are rock solid and poor quality

If you haven't got rails, or rear mounts of some sort, I would expect that transporting the rack face up or face down is going to stress the mounts less than with the equipment horizontal. Whether this will make a significant difference to the longevity of the kit or not, I don't know.

All well and good until you've got a non-rackable piece of kit fastened to a shelf (domestic cd player,dvd player, etc.)

Personal thoughts are that rack ears are designed for the equipment to be horizontal, therefore it might be an idea to leave it like that. Also, assuming the kit travels on its' back, I assume it will be stored like that too. Therefore if you want to get into the back of a rack that is in storage, you'll need to lift it up to the vertical first.

Tilting a heavy rack back to the vertical will need a couple of people, and if not done gently, could damage the gear. But, there's less chance of the rack tipping during transport.

codex, how exactly does transporting gear face down cause less damage? I've no proof of either way being better, but I would have thought that having rack rails supporting amps would be better.

I've seen lots of secondhand kit that came from several large pa companies that construct their racks with gear travelling face up and most was showing damage to front facia and chassis.

The company I worked for before starting up on myown , travelled all their gear face down and I never saw any of the same damage.

My kit has been transported in this format for five years and looks good to me

Think about it would the unit be happier hanging from its front panel or with the weight of the unit squarely on the front panel or 90 degree side loading the panel ?

Rear support is difficult with units of different depths in the same rack anyone got any clever solutions

Archived