Simple mid-range desks

karl

At the risk of starting yet another "what lighting desk" thread - is it just me or is there a large gap in the market when it comes to simple no-frills desks with > 48 channels?

The main venue I'm involved with has 80-odd dimmer channels and a handful of scrollers, all currently controlled by a venerable Strand LBX desk. This desk is currently in reasonably good working order but it is getting long in the tooth and will need replacing at some point. We don't use moving lights and I can't foresee this changing any time soon (occasional hires do bring movers in but also bring their own desks). What we need is a program stack (with the equivalent of a GO button), some subs and the ability to simple chases.

Desks which just provide these features are available with 12, 24 and 48 channels (e.g. the Zero88 Jester - excellent desk!) but as soon as you get over the magical 48 channel mark you're into the realms of multi-universe, multi-palette, fixture library packed, shape engined monster desks. I don't see the point in paying extra money for features that'll never get used. Especially when the perceived complexity will scare people off (a lot of people find a two preset manual desk daunting never mind something with more processing power than a supercomputer!).

So am I missing something or does nobody do a bog standard desk with more than a handful of channels anymore?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you ever use more than 48 of your 80 channels? as I presume they are hardwired dimmers, in which case you could either just softpatch the relivant 48 channels(channels can also be paired on faders), or get something like a jester 24/48ML, in which you can patch additional dimmers into moving light channels. You may not get the full 80 channels required, but it would do the job.

Failing that there is always the SmartFade 1296, that can control 96 channels.

Hope this helps

Dave

Do you ever use more than 48 of your 80 channels?

We've been through this particular argument before, very recently. Sorry, but anyone who suggests spec'ing a 48-channel desk for a space with 80 ways of dimming installed should not be trusted to make or advise on equipment purchasing decisions, as they clearly don't have much of a clue.

I think you're missing the point: he'd like a discussion about the gap in the market of simple to use lighting desks without all of the moving light control, etc... Just preset control with a simple cue stack.

To the OP, I think the reason that you don't get large preset type desks is because operating a large preset desk would take a lot of work and with lots of cues close together nearly impossible! To control a large number of channels a keypad syntax approach with maybe a few subs programmed into a cue stack would be a lot more versatile. With the increasing use of sophisticated technology such as movers and scrollers, etc, it is probably assumed that if you have the money for a large number of dimmers and lanterns you would have the money for the latest technology for these features would come with higher channel capacity desks which is why you wouldn't easily find a desk to meet your demands.

HTH, and I hope that I haven't got the wrong end of the stick! :D

EDIT: The first part of my post is aimed at dmoffat, not Gareth. Must type faster!

I think you're missing the point: he'd like a discussion about the gap in the market of simple to use lighting desks without all of the moving light control, etc... Just preset control with a simple cue stack.

To the OP, I think the reason that you don't get large preset type desks is because operating a large preset desk would take a lot of work and with lots of cues close together nearly impossible!

Actually, the way I read it was that it was a desk with more than 48 CHANNELS - I don't see it as a request for more than 48 FADERS.

I could be wrong of course...

OP?

The ETC Express 48/96 is the ETC Equivalent of the Strand LBX and is still in production. It's a great board and I've programmed many many shows on it with Scrollers AND simple movers (Apollo Right Arms) for shows like "Woman In Black" as well as simple chases for shows like "A Chorus Line" and things like that. Never had anything go wrong with the Express 48/96 or it's little brother the Express 125. Since the Express is starting to go out of style with the Ion becoming the mainstream, you should be able to pick up one for pretty cheap. We paid something like $6,000 USD for ours 8 years ago. I don't know what they cost in the UK but it shouldn't be too much.

EDIT: Just looked it up, the current price of an Express 48/96 is around $4,000 USD.

At the risk of sounding the noob here incase im compleatly wrong but..

What about the ETC Express series? particularlly the ETC Express 48/96.

Of course this would also provide you to have the occasional mover support should you need it, but as anyone who has used the desk can tell you.. It gets the job done but its a bit messy.

It may not be a brand new desk, but a very sturdy one, certianly in my oppinion worth looking into.

At any rate.. Just putting it out there ;)

I'm not sure if they are still available for purchase, and if not then perhaps a second hand one wouldn't be too difficult to come by?

ow and karl, I hear you on the Zero 88 Jester series.. Just persuaded my local school to buy a Jester ML48 to replace are alcora that broke, awaiting its arrival as we speak :D

ETC Express 48/96: http://www.etcconnect.com/product.overview.aspx?ID=20012

If your after something with a lot of handles, could look at a Jands Event 48..

Has 96 handles/faders, in default it runs as a 2 preset 48way desk.. but wide mode gives you 1 preset of 96 channels.

Just another suggestion to add to the others already, HTH.

Tom

I work in a theatre that has 90ish of dimming with an ETC express, and it gets the job done reasonably well. Never used it with scrollers personally, and the times we have had touring people try and use simple moving mirrors with it it was a bit of a nightmare but that was a user issue more than anything. For the fully generic rig we have, used for theatre and some rock shows off subs I think it is a decent desk. The only issue I have had with it is being unable to get a chase to fade smoothly.

There is also LSC - they go up to 60/120 in a two scene preset - yes, it is a mammoth of a board - but it is very enjoyable to program if you are a visual person.

It also has 30 "blue" faders - so you can keep your desk in wide mode, and record your subs onto just the blue faders - great for when you work in a theatre that does a lot of improve type shows - use the 30 blue for basic looks, then tweak with the upper faders.

Hi...

Why not an MA Light Commander?

Simple to use, works off a GO button, and has other good features.

I used to use the first version of the light commander many moons ago, and I think for the sort of venue / lighting capability you have this would suit perfectly.

www.malighting.com

James

Hi James. Perhaps you missed reading the part where the OP said that they required control for "80 odd dimmer channels". As far as I can see from the MA site, the console can only control up to 48 channels. Perhaps you can explain how this console meets the OP's requirements, instead of recommending a console that you have used and liked, possibly for a different situation.

Cheers

David

Archived