YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT...USED

Jerome

Seems to me that someone mentioned in the 'Your own equipment' thread that they would like to here about when, where and why young adults (I think thats the correct term) have used there own equipment. Probably not a topic so relevant to the older generation seen as though we here about there work all the time and one day we will hopefully be joining them but it may be nice if they comment on what they think of what we've done and maybe give us some pointers. Nice to here some people have some great equipment, don't know how the hell you afford it...I bet you've all nicked it... I'm very jealous! I only own tools and a small PA system but what have you done with this stuff?! This topic is a bit like 'show you're school production' in a way; but outside school/ college etc. Lets see some pics aswell if you've got them, not of your equipment sat in your lounge but being used. I personally don't have any apart from small DJ nights but maybe some people have some productions they have done???

Jerome

With me and people at my school (a few older kids), we share all our kit. I don't have any, but work more as a rigger. We have close relations with the local girls schools meaning we do all their parties. And usually there is a party every weekend.

Some of my equipment probably doesnt get used enough as it should or could, I'm thinking about dry hiring stuff out to local bands but needs thinking through. In terms of what I use it for...

Local bands - I supply PA kits, and small lighting rigs for local bands, often for things like pub sets etc. Normally something simple like 2 x Mackie C300z with EP2500, small 6 channel mixer, mics for vox, backing vox, kick, bass (di), and guitar, for bigger gigs will take a small amount of outboard if needbe. For small gigs will take something like a few led pars, looking to get some led bars which are slightly brighter/bigger which will be more effective. This rig normally goes out (with me) about 5 times a month?

My band - same sort of kit as above but often with a few more bits and bobs also goes out with my band (indie/rock band) who I am the bass player in, same stuff as above, but I play in the band and normally get someone else to engineer.

DJing - Also do mobile Djing for events, often for people I know but I am also recomended by a few local venues so often get jobs through them aswell.

Community Events - Havent done much lately, but it also gets hired out for local community events, people who put events on in the town I live will often come to me to hire PA systems/lighting off for there events, but as I said, havent done much lately.

School - Not at school anymore, but my old school often ask me to come back and help with events, for everything educational wise they've done for me over the last 5 years, I'm always perfectly happy to go back and help.

I have some pics, but they are annoyingly on my other PC, will grab them tommorow.

Dave

Sorry cheechm but when you say you're more of a rigger how do you mean exactly? As in you put points in a roof?

I help my friends set everything up. Litreally 2 powerdrives, 10ft scaff, with 4 I-Rock 5S on them. Then sound.

Litereally it.

That's more just general technicians role rather than a rigger. If I was asked to supply a rigger for a job, I'd supply someone with the ability and experience to fly equipment using rigging hardware such as slings, shackles, steels and motors to achieve this.

That's more just general technicians role rather than a rigger. If I was asked to supply a rigger for a job, I'd supply someone with the ability and experience to fly equipment using rigging hardware such as slings, shackles, steels and motors to achieve this.

This is next generation :D

I help my friends set everything up. Litreally 2 powerdrives, 10ft scaff, with 4 I-Rock 5S on them. Then sound.

Litereally it.

Talk about a Freudian slip.

Twice...

Literally.

:D

Well I meant to say literally ;)

This is next generation :blink:

And how does that make the definition of roles any different than, say "crew room", "lighting", "general technical chat"...?

Indeed, this is a next generation room cheechm.!!

And so we here can point you in the right direction of titles / job descriptions!!

As mentioned, what you helped with doing would be classed simply as the work of a Tech. Not a rigger.

A riggers job would normally be associated with the fixing and suspending of flown equipment / set etc.

This is next generation :blink:

And as the others said, that's why I posted it! Not as a slammer or put down, more aimed as a friendly word pass on the knowledge from a member of the current generation to those in the next.

OK back to the point :blink: . A little bit more accuracy with your roles in future guys. Try not to get too defensive cheechm they are only trying to help, ive made a few mistakes how I've put things before but if you argue back when someones only trying to help then don't expect any, done it myself... not good.

Archived