Pearl 2010

JDP

Hi all,

Just read something on LSI about a new Pearl 2010.

Anyone been enlightened about this or know what it is? I am loving the new Pearl Expert, and the rumor of D4 software for it sound cool, so wondered if anyone knew what the Pearl 2010 is about?

Cheers

This is from the press release on the Avo's Website

Pearl 2010

The Pearl 2010 sees Avolites introduce a new contemporary streamlined look for its global bestselling console. This will include new graphics and an ergonomically curved front and back, complimenting the physical aesthetics of the Pearl Expert and Pearl Tiger consoles.

Linky

My main question, to put it simply is, what is the 'point' of the 2010.

i.e. what are they expecting the Pearl 2010 to be used for.. what sort of job/position in the market, is it intended to fill. Perhaps just simply the current role that the 2008 has and it'll be just a general upgrade/slightly new layout, similar to how the 2004 desks were superseded by the the 2008's when they came out... Their not vastly different, just a few tweaks n such and that'll be the desk you get when you say 'I'll have a pearl please' <_<. More of a v2/mk2 of a desk, rather than something completely new

That's what I recon anyway, but there's the slight nagging point of then whats the point of the Expert, seeing as that (IIRC) was supposed to be the new/current Pearl, but obviously with quite a few more tricks and new features as opposed to just tweaks and cosmetic changes like the 04/08 migration was. Could the 2010 be the update/upgrade of the Expert?

I'm sure all will be answered in good time, at Plasa :** laughs out loud **:

T

The lack of them mentioning anything other than aesthetics does make me think it's more of a minor upgrade than much else. The 2004 over the 2000 was the classic example because you could just reflash the 2000! Though you can't obviously upgrade firmware to improve aesthetics <_<

That said, I'm sure there is more to it, we'll probably just have to wait and see. Personally, I'm just selfishly looking forward to going back to uni to a new pearl tiger...:** laughs out loud **:

My take:

2010 is AFAIK just a cosmetic change to match the Tiger giving two control surface options to suit smaller application/budget running the well established hardware and familiar software. 2004 on have better faders. 2008/Tiger on have USB. But software and capability essentially remain the same as a 1996 console.

Expert internal hardware is much faster, fully upgradable and will run unified software with D4 giving another two control surface options for the larger application/budget level.

Disclaimer: In the interests of the lighting community I have, once again, been placing myself on foreign boards in foreign lands to fully understand the needs of operators who thought it would be perfectly ok to stay up all night at the free bar before heading to the event for programming. The above comments may be adversely affected by the lingering after-effects of the latest experiment.

• 4 weeks later...
Upon chatting to a guy at PLASA - I can now tell you what is different in the Peal 2008 and Pearl 2010. The only difference is that Avo have changed their supplier on who supplies the metal top for the Pearl desks and as such, they had to rebrand the desk, so they named it the Pearl 2010. The software is exactly the same as on a 2008 console, except it will read 2010. That's it!

heh...

I'm slightly regretting buying an 08 a year or so ago now. The price difference between that and the expert at the time was significant but not massive, and I've since become convinced that the extra pallettes and rolacue space would have been well worth the extra money - they'd certainly have suited my programming style a lot better, although it wasn't for my own use mostly so that's not really overly important. The new software just brings it home that wee bit more, the remote control looks lovely... and it'd be nice to have a decent reason to own an iphone! :rolleyes:

Upon chatting to a guy at PLASA - I can now tell you what is different in the Peal 2008 and Pearl 2010. The only difference is that Avo have changed their supplier on who supplies the metal top for the Pearl desks and as such, they had to rebrand the desk, so they named it the Pearl 2010. The software is exactly the same as on a 2008 console, except it will read 2010. That's it!

REALLY!! :rolleyes:

From what I was told during a demo from one of the technical support guys, the only reason it is called the 2010 was becuase it is just the new software that runs on the Expert, nothing to do with astetics. So infact the 2010 is not a new console, its a new operating system.

addition of a locate button in the bottom right hand corner

That is also on the Tiger and D4, so I dont think it anything to do with the new 2010

The 2010 is aesthetic change only.

It does not run the Titan software and never will. It runs the same software as 2008/Tiger. Either you misunderstood or were told wrong.

And IIRC the locate function was moved to reduce intensity button on the 2004 builds too. Reduce intensity changed to a [shift] function.

Ok I stand corrected, I went up to the guy and asked which console is the new 2010 and he took me to a Pearl Expert and said it is the operating system it is running on and showed me all the new features the desk had, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Archived