LV XLR Cables for Birdies

Stu

Thanks for all the help/advice given so far.

Just got round to starting to wire everything up - connected the first Birdie to a 70w transformer and I'm using 0.75mm/sq 3-core cable to connect the transformer to the Birdie (obviously only using 2 cores of the 3). Everything is fine except for the fact I've measured a 10.5v output from the transformer to the Birdie, both at point of source, and 1m from the transfomer (again using 0.7mm/sq cable as an extension).

Anyone think what could be causing this? The lamp is almost at full brightness, but to my eye is defintely not at 100% because the colour temp has dropped off slightly.

For testing purposes I've used 6A choc blocks to wire it up, so this wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Anyway thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers

Stu

What's your mains voltage - we've measured our voltage at home to drop below its normal 241V by 10-20V?

What kind of transformer is it - toroidal or electronic?

What's its claimed output voltage and tolerance?

Are you using a cheap multimeter / RMS multimeter / scope?

Is the meter accurate?

Hi Stu,

I didn't spot anywhere in your previous posts if you're using real or electronic transformers. If it's the latter then chances are your meter won't go high enough in frequency to measure the output; electronic jobbies put out AC at 20kHz and above.

Just to reply to the various questions:

It's an electronic transformer, which has a total capacity of 70w and a marked output voltage of 11.5v @ 6.5A.

I'm using a normal little multimeter, and I've never noticed any issues with it before.

Urm and I'm not sure exactly what the mains voltage is here - I've never checked.

Stu

It's an electronic transformer, which has a total capacity of 70w and a marked output voltage of 11.5v @ 6.5A.

I'm using a normal little multimeter, and I've never noticed any issues with it before.

That could be it, most digital meters are only spec'd for something like 40-500Hz operation on AC volts. After that the accuracy goes.

Ah right, so it could just be that my eyes are playing tricks and thinking there is an issue due to the low reading?

What would be the 'proper' way to measure the voltage in this scenario?

Stu

• 2 years later...

Back to the topic, I use chock block that CPC sell which consists of two parts, male & female, which plug into each other. It's rated at 10 Amp and does the job nicely - much cheaper than XLR and more anonymous - plus you can't plug Mics into it! Also makes a nice connection at the transformer end. I used to use IEC's but muppets kept plugging them in to 230v.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...jsp?sku=CN00143

They also do it in black

Archived