multi-core ... on drum or not?

crox

We are looking at replacing our multi-core, and the main question is do we stick with a drum or not?

I can see plenty of benefits and drawbacks either way to be honest, just wondering what everyone else thinks.

As a side note, any "brands" to avoid, any "brands" which get your vote?

From my experiences, drum mounted are much easier to set up and pack down, it also means the multicore cable has less chance of getting knackered when coiling unlike when it is just a free cable.

It partly depends on what length you're looking at?

NO!! No drum.

Its probably easier to wind it up, but does the cable no favors at all. Those drums cost £200, for nearer £150 you could get a cheap case cut out a chunk and nicely figure of 8 the multi in.

we already have a drum, and the main problem is that it requires two people to pull it out as otherwise it gets tangled up on itself.

I am looking at 50m of cable ...

Surely you'll want a 32 input multicore to make best use of the desk in future? 24+8 @50m are available on drums, but will then be pretty heavy. I'd imagine with that many connections, if you can afford it you'd be best with a system with multipins, they're easier to coil fig-8 in a trunk too. I'm a fan of these cables: Direct Cable Systems

we are having an A&HGL2400 - 32 so 24 in, 6/8 out

Used to be in the same position as you with desk and multi. We used to have it on a drum, but it was such a pain to get on and off. I moved it into a case as a figure of eight and its much easier to manage. The case is bigger than the drum one, but then I was trying to guess how big we'd need it. I reckon you'd be able to get something in a similar size to whatever holds a drum.

Adam

we have other inputs though, and a 32 channel desk is thinking ahead as it is ...

we only need 24, but might as well go for the extra 8 channels.

The 24 channel m/core is leaving room for expansion anyhow.

If its on a drum then you should ensure that it is fully un-wound before use.... In a low scale venue then its a great idea, however it doesn't do the cable any good (but then again most people can't coil so its probably better!).

If you want a real quality multi then you should go for Van-Damm, and if you want a price on one, let me know how long it needs to be and what connectors you want each end - Ill give you a price!

Archived