Gcse Drama Tech Option

Does it have to be outside of school?

If not, perhaps if your school is have a fundraising event or something similar you could help out with that and do the sound and lighting. The best would be if they had a karaoke afternoon. We had one in our school and you pay so much to sing a song and all proceeds go to charity. It was a good laugh. Also people pay soemthing to come in to the hall. Would be quite technical as you would need to set up mic's, cue backing track and maybe even have a few lighting cue's in there.

Good luck!!

Em

xxx

Yeah I am from a school in watford Francis Combe School , and I have done loads of tech work out of class like the year shows parties other peoples lighting everything. But I just wondered like is there a certain thing I could study in the lesson? or a task of some sort?

Thanks!

Any more questions PM me or Email me!

Hi,

I dont Drama tech option last year, the way we worked it was that at the end of the module/section each group in the class performed the piece including lighting. As there were 6 groups, what I was told to do by the teacher was to focus (no pun intended!!) on one group (go for the best!) and concentrate on lighting them, but also do 'rough' lighting for the rest. During class times I mainly talked with the groups to see what they wanted tech-wise and read lighting books to pass the time. As long as the cue sheets etc were done, until the performance there was very little to do.

As I did the technical option for a few of the performing modules and provided the write-ups for them, I done the actual exam as the rest of the class following advice from the teacher, because apparently the technical bits quite hard.

Oh - another thing that really helped me was to be given a copy of the sylibus for the lighting part, (avaliable from the exam boards website) as this meant I could study this during lessons and tick of what I had done etc.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Andy,

I did GCSE lighting... and I'm not sure if it's still the same procedure... but the way we worked it was that I did all the improvisation and stuff and critical analysis of shows etc, when it came to the lighting side of it I did the lighting design and operation for the various performances from the rest of the group and then at the end I did a presentation to the examiner about lighting using a powerpoint slide show on a projector. I bassically told the examiner everything I knew about lighting and even took him round the stage and control room explaining how lighting works. I don't know if this was any help but I got 40 out of 40 in the presentation so it worked for me! :rolleyes:

Yeah I heard about that presentation part yeah I have some good ldeas about it. Also I am hopfully gonig to try and use wysiwyg and try and impress the examiner that way! thanks for your advice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I did GCSE Drama paper 3 tech, back in april 2002. long time ago!!

I did the sound option and a friend of mine did the lx option. We worked it like, each of us did one group each and we designed for them. Then the other groups were sorted out by the school emplyed technician. This system is still going now.

I got 40/40 or was it 39/40, I cant remember! and I was used for examiner material thefollowing year so I was told!

I really enjoyed it, and after I went to do a Btec in PA (Production) at the same place, just finshing it now. And going to Guildhall in September to study stage management/Tech theatre! So all wored out!!!

Good Luck!!

Lee

I did GCSE Drama paper 3 tech, back in april 2002. long time ago!!

GCSE's ?

2002, a long time ago ?

I have vague recollections of doing my 'O' levels (as they were called way back then) in the sizzling summer of '77 ...

... my 'A' levels in '79 ...

... and my finals at Warwick in '82 :P

• 3 months later...

im doing gcse drama at the moment and our teacher knows that I want to do tech when I leave school and failed to tell the class we could do this option instead. I can act but I would rather be behind the scenes and so in sept I will go and ask her if I can opt for that instead because I find that I get shy and find it hard to remember lines when there are alot of people watchning, not the best things for an acter :rolleyes:

has anyone found there teacher said no?

I have vague recollections of doing my 'O' levels (as they were called way back then) in the sizzling summer of '77  ...

You quite sure Mr Neuf? '76 sizzled (Minister for Drought etc), and my O levels were in '77, but I don't recollect it being that hot.

Archived