Camco Mains lead??

richie1575

Hello all!

A quick question on Camco amps. I've a Vortex 4 and the mains lead has been damaged and needs replacing... my question is what size is the cable? It looks like 2.5sqmm, but I'm not sure if it is bigger.

I guess the second part of the question is why is such a large mains lead fitted?

Any thoughts?

Richie

Having looked at the manual's electrical specs, I can't see any reason why it would need a lead larger than 2.5mm^2, it will be plenty. If it will have a 13A plug bear in mind that there aren't many 13A plugs that will fit 2.5mm^2 cable - certainly the MK Duraplug will and so will the Permaplug.

Another suggestion that comes to mind is to stick a 16a plug on the end of the flex then knock up a 13a to 16a adaptor (if you don't already have one spare) for use when you have to run off 13a/d0mest1c outlets. Costs slightly more to put together, but gives you more options down the line should you ever get a chance to plug the amp/s into some 'proper' mains/distro.

But if you think that's unlikely to ever happen, then, as Yorkie said, try get a decent brand 13a connector on the end such as the 2 he suggested. Not all 13's like taking 2.5mm^2 flex.

Tom

The reason for such large cable is because they also run on 120v for across the pond so current draw will be double UK. Pretty sure it is 2.5mm cable, I know it's hard work getting a 13amp plug on them!

Thanks for the input! I thought 2.5mm would do... just wondered why it's so big! On 13a plugs, the one of the easiest to fit, if you can find them, are Crabtree plugs. I suspect they are no longer manufactured, but if anyone wants one, I know of a source!

Cheers!

Richie

Archived