Coiling a cable....

adamcoppard

I would have thought that winding the cable round your elbow would not help as the cables will end up being stretched and become out of shape, even thought this is not a major problem, there are better ways.

I carry a theoretical gun for people who coil cables like that...

Why is it also, that no matter that you train a cable to be coiled in the over under method, it only takes 1 time of some numpty wrapping it round their elbow and it takes ages to get it to coil back up neatly again. I "Just say no" when someone with no experience offers to help, or get them to make a coffee. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job there aren't loads of Jeremy clarksons working in hire companys (he uses the elbow technique (Top Gear Series 08 Ep 08)).

As with people helping, some parents helped with our longest cable last year (a new 50m VGA cable), and they used half elbow, and half just collect the cable in your hands technique, and just dumped it on the stage. We then proceded for the next afternoon to try and coil the cable.

Must remember the long cable coiling technique.

Uncle Bobbsy's long cable restoration technique--it even works (sometimes):

Uncoil and de-tangle the cable, then put it someplace hot--a tarmac drive in afternoon summer sun is ideal. Bake for a couple of hours, then re-coil using a proper technique. As often as not (knot?) this gets rid of the "numpty kinks".

Bob

In addition to coiling cable correctly - the first thing I ever did wrong in theatre was to coil a cable round my elbow, and nearly got slapped for it (never ever did it again though) - I was very surprised to discover that a highly regarded technical theatre course does not teach its students how to gaffa cables down correctly...

I wasted many hours on a gig a few years a go, when working with some recently ex students of this course, due to having to clean gaffa off the cables and re doing all the taping so that the cables weren't completely trashed.

Please please remember a little strip across the cable before going along... If only for my sanity

I think most courses take off all the proper technical requirements. I was / am lucky, and ended up learning everything I know off of a very generous hire company, and our IT Technician, who tought me the fundermetnals of coiling, gaffa, and other sound things. But, if I had learnt it off of our 'Technicial' Drama course, then I probably would know a lot less than I do now ;-) I think all that the technical drama awards you is marks for actually the lighting / sound on the day, which doesn't show anky knowledge of anything other than really using some faders, and a CD player. On that tanagent, I ownder how many speakers are EQ'ed properly in schools for there location...

Archived