Coiling a cable....

adamcoppard

I have been taught, supposedly, the correct way to coil a cable:

1. Run the cable through the hand, so you start with the other end than you were holding.
  2. Hold just below the connector, and let a length run through your other hand.
  3. With your thumb and a finger you feel comfortable with, bring it in a loop to the 'just below the connector' point (it requires a twist of your fingers).
  4. Repeat.
  5. Add one piece of tape between the two connectors (which should be pretty close).

Anybody else do it like this, or do you all do it in your own ways, as there is no correct way?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been taught the same way, but the connectors don't need to be close, so long as there's less than about a thrid of a coil either side.

Other ways, do this way for the 1st, 3rd, 5th coil etc, and the 2nd, 4th, 6th coil etc. should just 'fold' in anyway, and doesn't need twisting. I rarely use this method though.

also, for bigger cable, Figure of 8! :tearshair:

Chris

This is the proper way to do it, but be sure to add the twist. a properly coiled cable can mean if you have to get it from one point to another, hold and end and throw it along the ground and it will go neatly and not get caught, as myself, our tech manager and department demonstrates regulary.

for multicores and big cables that you cant hold onto realistically, do it on the floor!

That is essentially correct but if you really want to do it properly every other twist should be in reverse and looped in the other way, the reason for this is that if you twist the same way all the time you introduce a permanent twist along the cable but if you do the inverse twist method you only ever put one twist in then take one twist out each time, this way you can throw a coil of cable out and it will lie flat and not tangle. There is a good video about it at

http://stagecraft.theprices.net/gallery/ca...lewrap-avi.html

It does work and is easy once you get the hang of it

I shouted at a guy on the last school gig I was on for doing it round his elbow haha. Anyway yeah figure of 8 for big cables else reverse twist method.

I don't always reverse twist though, when there's 100 cables to coil and flighcase away you don't want to be there all night. Plus reverse twist is easier said than done on cables that have already been coiled badly in the past.

If you have a lot of XLR's the same length, buy a drum and reel them onto it connected together end to end. Makes life a lot easier and is ready for longer runs if you need. Needs to be quite a large diameter drum to allow the XLR's to sit neatly within the coil though.

But yes, all of mine are the coil and twist method. Elbowing is strictly a no-no, however I've seen people use a method when they continually half the length of the cable until it's long enough to tie in a knot. I don't like it, but I have to admit that when in a rush, one or two of my cables have ended up like that.

Today's moral - when working with a choir of mainly older folk, don't let them "help" you pack up, because the time you save will be doubled later re-coiling everything and putting it in the correct boxes!

Ive been taught the same way. I used to sit (well, stand) for the getout of a panto just happily coiling cables, XLR, bnc, pyro ( the little 3 pin ones on the firers. Not sure the technical name for the connectors), AV RCA, coax (ugh) and so forth. Was quite fun, especially as the cables weren't that mucky or sticky! The 100m power cable was more fun, espesh when I was uncoiling it.... outside the theatre when it was snowing :S.

I've seen actors try and coil cables around their elbows, at which point they are taught how to properly do it! Although I've seen them fail to use an electric screwdriver (spinning the bit too fast, and mushing the screw head).... so I wasn't expecting anything amazing! Gotta learn somewhere though.

Its either that, or if the cables so short, it will just get smooshed into my bag in a rush!

That flick towards you and then flick away from you is interesting - or the over/under technique - I have never done it like that! I usually give it a twist towards me each time I want to make a loop.

How come you don't use Figure8?

I've never used that and never been taught to do a figure of 8. I think it looks messy personally - sometimes when coiling XLR they will make a figure of 8 and I will always unwind a few coils and do them again.

Archived