Gok's Fashion Fix translucent glass

Wol

I think this is the right category for this topic, as its an 'effect'.... and something that could be used in theatre.

On Gok Wan's Fashion Fix TV programme (Channel 4 - Thurs - 8pm), theres a glass door in the set, which is usually translucent, but can be activated so that the glass panel turns seethrough on a press of a button.

Anyone have any idea on how this is achieved? Something to do with polarisation filters, so its like a giant LCD?

Can't quite think how its done!

Ta

This stuff is awesome. My mate's company installs some of it in fancy shopping centres for changing room doors. They also do the LCD screens that look just like a pain of glass, until it's doing it's thing. Would love to see it in nightclubs for toilet doors etc.

I've been using the stuff on a show which has been touring recently. Is great stuff and can be dimmed using normal dimmers (with the aid of a load lamp) to interesting effect. It is especially nice as it works well as a back projection surface, which can lead to interesting things. Only problem is it weighs a ton and costs a fortune!!

They had something like this in one of the Big Brother house set-ups - BB5? It was a window of a toilet that looked out into the garden. When the toilet door was fully locked, the window would be covered up with a frosted filming. But when the door was open the film on the window dissapeared.

There was an awesome house built on grand designs that used this glass. It was all open plan and it was used for the bedroom door/window type things. Im sure if I remember correctly it was about £1000 a square metre although that was some time ago.

• 3 weeks later...
There was an awesome house built on grand designs that used this glass. It was all open plan and it was used for the bedroom door/window type things. Im sure if I remember correctly it was about £1000 a square metre although that was some time ago.

Yeah I saw that episode too and the stuff looks awesome but extremely expensive.

Archived