Gear Insurance?

Gigalite

Hey all,

I need to seek some insurance!

Any recommendations.

Currently a member of BECTU if that matters.

It mainly lighting and sound equipment. Not yet drawn up an inventory and valued it all.

Would like something that would cover it while in transit between gigs too.

Any help / info much appreciated,

cheers,

Alex

Welcome to the Blue Room, Alex

Try JLT online (soundguard,musicguard,djguard)

If you have'nt got loads of really expensive gear I've found thease guys are really good as you can up the value of your policy really easily plus you get theft cover, in transit damage cover and you can get public liability too!

Hope this helps

g

Check carefully! I found gear insurance through one of the muso/dj places and they didn't insure cables so the boxes were covered but the cables NOT. With their inclusive PLI that meant that if an amp(etc) injured someone PLI was good but if a punter tripped on a cable then no PLI.

I find that a little odd Jivemaster as the PLI is insuring YOU against liability in the event of a claim (rather than the kit) whilst the kit insurance is insuring the kit against damage, theft, etc. They are 2 completely exclusive things.

So even if you were teching for someone else using their kit you would still be covered on your PLI.

I tell you because that's what Musicguard told me. -If you insure your gear then you get PLI thrown in, BUT they didn'c do cover for cable so didnt offer PLI against a cables based claim.

I've just had a check of my schedule with them... The only part I can spot (IANAL etc) that they might be able to wriggle out of a claim with is in the "what is not covered" section of the PLI part; they say as point 8: "Any liability not involving the use of an item of musical, entertainment, sound or lighting equipment". They don't seem to explicitly define what "equipment" is; would a cable reasonably be classed as equipment?

In a moment of sadness, I have looked up the dictionary definition of equipment

the set of necessary tools, clothing etc. for a particular purpose

As a speaker/power/mic cable is a necessary part of a sound system, I think they would struggle to argue otherwise :)

I enquired about insuring my kit with musicguard, and found that there was no option for easily adding hired items onto the policy, which isn't great when you plan on getting stuff in.

Music Guard have sent me there brochures through - I shall give tham a read over when I get a chance. Whichever insurer I go with I will indeed need an option to update my hire inventory with them by means of a simple email or phone call!

cheers, Alex

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Hi there, have just changed insurance supplier to Luker Rowe Hibernian, who seem to even understand how our industry works! They even know terms like "sub-hire" Its a miracle!
Have emailed these guys too - didn't really have much time to browse there website nor others however I saw pictures of PLASA straight away on this one so am hoping for a promising reply!

cheers Again

Archived