vocal sound advice

thewhirlwind

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just remember to 'bookmark' this topic whirlwind 'cos it will be lost in a weeks time!

John Denim.

John

how do you bookmark it?

oh and sorry my names Sean

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

you want your return to be 100% wet. when you mix down, treat it like any other channel, but balance it against the dry vocals. your fader for this channel will most likely be very low.

merv

????

what I've done with the m one xl tonight is adjust the level of reverb I liked and then just recorded the vocal and the reverb back onto a track.I then muted the dry track so that when I play back I have the track with the vocal and reverb on it.

Is this right?

if I understood you properly, not quite. you need to send to the lexicon just the vocals, but you need to make sure the dry signal isnt in the return path from the lexicon. when you record the lexicon you want just the wet signal, so you can treat it as another channel in your mix.

nearly though :D

EDIT: typowned.

Okay...time for a grumpy old git moment here.

First off Sean/Whirlwind: you have a very talented daughter but you're not doing justice to this talent with your recording techniques. You have an expensive and highly capable piece of home studio software and you're using about 0.01% of its capabilities. If I were to use a car analogy, you've just bought yourself a BMW sports car and all you're doing is sitting in the garage listening to the radio. Things like the use of VST effects, compression etc. are all totally basic to any recording. Similarly, mixing is called that because you actively mix the track--you don't just find a compromise and leave it set for the entire track. In a professional mix, very often minor tweaks are being done on a line by line, word by word...or even note by note basis. Quite seriously, you need to spend some time with the Cubase manual and also some reading (either online in in a book) about home recording and mixing techniques.

Second Mervaka: Although I'm sure you were trying to help, suggesting a workround to allow the use of the external 'verb is simply continuing to encourage bad practice. Although your suggestion would improve things slightly, it is still a long way from the flexibility you get from controlling your effects within a DAW.

Finally, Dymondaudio: I take issue with your definition of mastering/finalising. Most of the things you list I would consider to be integral parts of the mix processs. Mastering/finalising is when you take your "perfect" mix and make whatever tweaks are necessary to make it sound as good as possible in your "distribution" medium--changing levels to match the tracks either side of it on a CD, maybe a bit of multiband compression to make it work better on a car radio rather than studio monitors, that sort of thing. However, the difference between mastering and mixing is that the mastering is done to a final mix...while in mixing you make separate adjustments to individual tracks, then put them all together.

End of grumpy old git mode.

Bob

Finally, Dymondaudio: I take issue with your definition of mastering/finalising. Most of the things you list I would consider to be integral parts of the mix processs. Mastering/finalising is when you take your "perfect" mix and make whatever tweaks are necessary to make it sound as good as possible in your "distribution" medium--changing levels to match the tracks either side of it on a CD, maybe a bit of multiband compression to make it work better on a car radio rather than studio monitors, that sort of thing. However, the difference between mastering and mixing is that the mastering is done to a final mix...while in mixing you make separate adjustments to individual tracks, then put them all together.

Bob

Thank you 'bobbsy' for your input, and certainly a valid point, perhaps I should have termed it pre-mastering, not sure I would consider some of the things I listed as integral to the mixing process, but that is the joy of mixing! It's an individual thing!

Okay...time for a grumpy old git moment here.

First off Sean/Whirlwind: you have a very talented daughter but you're not doing justice to this talent with your recording techniques. You have an expensive and highly capable piece of home studio software and you're using about 0.01% of its capabilities. If I were to use a car analogy, you've just bought yourself a BMW sports car and all you're doing is sitting in the garage listening to the radio. Things like the use of VST effects, compression etc. are all totally basic to any recording. Similarly, mixing is called that because you actively mix the track--you don't just find a compromise and leave it set for the entire track. In a professional mix, very often minor tweaks are being done on a line by line, word by word...or even note by note basis. Quite seriously, you need to spend some time with the Cubase manual and also some reading (either online in in a book) about home recording and mixing techniques.

Second Mervaka: Although I'm sure you were trying to help, suggesting a workround to allow the use of the external 'verb is simply continuing to encourage bad practice. Although your suggestion would improve things slightly, it is still a long way from the flexibility you get from controlling your effects within a DAW.

Bob

you're right of course but I've had some better results than people I know that have paid good money for a days recording in a "professional studio"

I really want to be able to use my lexicon so that I can play with the different settings so that I can transfer those to when we go out live.the problem is I think that the recording system I have is designed as an all in one solution,so that you use the vst effects that come with it.when you click on the vst instruments there is an input and output tab but no external effects tab that there is on some other versions of cubase.I do use the vst compressor,eq but I tend to set them for the whole track and not adjust them for certain parts.

At the moment it's looking like I go back to a vst verb and try and see if I can import a better one like glaceverb or get new sound card and version of cubase or something similar.

I really WAS grumpy this morning, wasn't I? I blame sitting up too late watching a naff film on TV.

One point I should make is that, while it's certainly worth practising and learning the ins and outs of your Lexicon, you won't be able to find a setting you like in the studio and then use exactly the same when performing live. In a live setting, the reverb is heavily affected by "natural" reverb in the room and will sound very different than it does in the studio. You really just have to find the sound like in the studio then use your ears to come a close as possible when mixing live.

Bob

I really WAS grumpy this morning, wasn't I? I blame sitting up too late watching a naff film on TV.

One point I should make is that, while it's certainly worth practising and learning the ins and outs of your Lexicon, you won't be able to find a setting you like in the studio and then use exactly the same when performing live. In a live setting, the reverb is heavily affected by "natural" reverb in the room and will sound very different than it does in the studio. You really just have to find the sound like in the studio then use your ears to come a close as possible when mixing live.

Bob

yeah I know...I want to experiment the plate reverb at home cos we don't get much time or opportunity before a gig.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Bob

yeah I know...I want to experiment the plate reverb at home cos we don't get much time or opportunity before a gig.

just an idea but how about I email a dry vocal and the backing track to anyone who wants to give it a go and let them add there own reverb etc to see what they come up with and who gets the best mix??

I'm game to have a go--though it might be a week or three until I get to it (I've recently moved house and I'm quite literally just in the process of re-building my home studio).

I'll PM you my email address.

Bob

I'm game to have a go--though it might be a week or three until I get to it (I've recently moved house and I'm quite literally just in the process of re-building my home studio).

I'll PM you my email address.

Bob

ok it'll be a week or two before I can send anything anyway as I'm off on holiday today for a week.

should be interesting.

Sean

by the way bob do you have any recordings or anything I can look at on the web.it's always good to see what stuff people are doing.

Archived