books on servicing and troubleshooting moving heads/scans

avdavesound

Second Boatman, gives the basics of practically everything. That and spending hours trying to fix your own lights you will soon pick up the problems your fittings are prone to, and be able to fix them.

Don't know if they still do it but a few years ago I contacted Vari*Lite and they did a free 1 day course on their lights which involved stripping them down to service levels, it was good grounding although theirs are a bit different to the others in design!

Usually, if your company have bought fixtures, then the manufacturers will off training... Alternatively, Martin and VariLite do courses.

Mostly, issues with moving lights are overcome with experience than reading books. For example, we have been touring Mac 2000 since they came out, and I know every fault with them, most of them more re-occurring than others. Experience also is handy when dealing with known issues, MK issues, retrofits etc. Even with the best book in the world, another problem would find its way into the equation after its been written - most probably with Mac 2000!

Its a shame that the new Mac 3000 is coming out, before they fixed all the issues with the Mac 2000 but there you go.

Not out yet, its an urban myth, but it has been seen in action by a few MDs of companies. The unit design is top secret, but as far as I know the Mac 3000 concept isn't a secret.. It DOES exist, I should of though you will be seeing it at PLASA this year or the year after.

Uh huh. I will believe it when I see it. Oh, and just by the way... you may be interested to know that according to dictionary.com:

Main Entry: urban myth

Definition: a folkloric and often sensational tale about modern life that is repeated in the media and by other means, making it more believable to some; also called urban legend

So therefore, an urban myth really cannot be "seen in action" yet because it doesn't exist!!! :)

Archived