Large Mirror Ball Motors

WolvesAndi

Hello All,

Got a mirror ball about 3ft across, its a big heavy thing. The thing is we want to make it spin, looked on all the usual sites and the only rotaters I can find go up to 50cm and 4kg. We obviously need bigger than this, so if somone can tell us a source of mirror ball rotaters I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Andi :** laughs out loud **: :D :o :D :D

Ah, was just about to start a new topic, but shall add it to this one!

I have a mirrorball motor, and would like to take it (and mirrorball) to Mallorca for this season. Trouble is, the airline that will be taking me want to know what type of motor it is. Sadly, I can't find it on the motor, and have forgotten the types of motor. Basically it is a 2.5rpm, either direction motor, bought at Maplins, made by Hillspin, any ideas folks!?!

Well, it's either a DC or AC motor, and either does or does not contain ceramic magnets.

Best guess (assuming it's mains powered and not battery-powered) is a Universal AC motor which does not contain magnets.

The thing they are most likely to be worried about is whether it contains magnets, as that could play merry hell with the x-ray machine.

The best method is to open up the case of the rotator, and if the mains power is not rectified then it's a Universal motor without magnets.

Of course, they shouldn't mind either way as I know some people who have taken 1HP DC motors to the USA in their luggage, and those have very strong magnets!

Trouble is, the airline that will be taking me want to know what type of motor it is. Sadly, I can't find it on the motor, and have forgotten the types of motor. Basically it is a 2.5rpm, either direction motor, bought at Maplins, made by Hillspin, any ideas folks!?!

What a thoroughly bizarre question for them to ask!!! Anyways, make sure you point out it's electric (not petrol!) and it's a syncronous induction motor.

Thank you Brian and Tomo!

Yes it is an odd question, but since it will be going with hook clamp, safety bond and pinspot with the same, it might look rather odd in the x-ray! It is an AC motor, no rectifier, so looks like it is OK.

Now on to the battle about my laptop and bag being over 5kg.........(that and the 90Kg of hold luggage!) :** laughs out loud **: Most of it is uniform, production CD's (50) and manual (a lever-arch full!)

Andi,

Terralec do one for £73 (inc VAT) - for use with Mirrorballs upto 100cm (3.3ft isn't it?) and 40kg. The stock code is MD3010.

HTH

Stu

I've never really had problems with over weight bagage, as long as you point out that you have a laptop, and your work materials.

When I had to fly out to Italy to do a choral recording I was traveling with my laptop, 24 track makie HD recorder and a case full of microphones, cables, stands and HD's and they didn't seem to mind, even though it went wayyyyy over weight.

They also insisted I carried on due to limited liability with pro audio gear???

Archived