Light in the eyes of musicians

Johnno

I've to light a school concert with our motley collection of mostly-ancient generics. The music master has voiced the view that the lights are too bright in the eyes of the band members. Short of turning them all off - the lights not the band members! - is there anything you can recommend to resolve this problem? :D

Hi,

I'm guessing this is for an orchestra? I've done a few concerts where I have tended not to use key lights but mainly top lights for the musicians. Three things to mention- Alway make sure you have lit the conductor (I usually side light them) and alway make sure the orchestra have enough light to see the music. Whatever you do, DON'T point lights in their eyes. They will get the major hump with you!!! I sometimes rig orchestra lights on the music stands and then use the steep top light to light the musicians.

If its more band stuff the go for top/side light.

Good luck,

Tim

I've played in an orchestra a few times myself, and to be honest, I just got on with whatever was lighting me up! Some of the other musicians complained, but it wasn't a school based thing, we were in a public venue, not much we could tell them to do. I'd suggest just rig it however you can, use the previous suggestions, and tell them it's the best you can do, if they still complain, well, I'll leave it up to you to decide what to tell them ;)

Having played in orchestras too myself, if there is someone in control of the lighting there will always be complaints. However; as everyone has already mentioned light to see music is important, so top light is good. Light so the musicians can see the conductor is important.

Things to avoid are definately any colour in the lights unless it's colour corections stuff, and more importantly no moving lights and what not, as that is rather distracting, however from what you have said I don't think the latter will be an issue.

The difference between a musician and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

I went to an outdoor orchestral concert a few years back, and the musos there moaned that the sun was too bright....!

You just can't help musicians!

(I felt like pointing out they were damned lucky it wasn't raining!!)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

You know - I feel a song coming on here....

To the tune from a well known musical...........

;)

There's a light in the eyes of the musos

Well, there's a light in the eyes of the musos

Back-stage might be as black as the night,

But there's a light in the eyes of the musos....

It's the power of MD, he dictates quite

The level of the light and says "Hey, that's bright

In the eyes of Mike, first trombone on't right,

You must be using up a lot of poooower!"

"Cos there's a light in the eyes of my musos

Well, there's a light in the eyes of my musos

Try as you might, we can't work in spite

Of the light in the eyes of my musos!"

So the LD says "You could have it RED,

Coming from the back from those Par cans

But the problem then is it would be dim

And you'd see your notes howwww-a!"

(Altogether now)

There's a light in the eyes of the musos.........

(Ad nauseam...)

The RPO plays at our venue several times a year, and we always have a problem getting any light onto them from front of house. In fact while they are playing there is nothing at all from FOH, only the house lights at 25%. They have plenty of open white pointing straight down, and a few colours washing our cyc. The only time we use anything from FOH is when the orchestra stands for applause, or if there are any soloists. It looks really odd, but as their director pointed out the audience is there to listen to the orchestra, not look at them.

I've to light a school concert with our motley collection of mostly-ancient generics. The music master has voiced the view that the lights are too bright in the eyes of the band members. Short of turning them all off - the lights not the band members! - is there anything you can recommend to resolve this problem? ;)

Get a new music master..?

what's with this new-fangled idea that everything needs "lighting"? it's just pointless job creation as far as I can see, and simply seems to lead to conflict if this thread is anything to go by. So long as the orchestra can see to read the music (unfortunately they don't learn it or make it up as they go along or mime to backing tracks like in "pop" music) and the audience can hear well, what does it matter what they look like?

... what does it matter what they look like?

In my experience the audience appreciate being able to see the musicians and would rather not sit in the dark, if they have to be lit anyway it may as well be good, and it obviously has be done in such a way so as not to irritate.

Genus

Archived