I want to increase my sound knowledge!!

Acko

Hi all,

I am settled in do doing sound for my school, but know I am wanting to lean and get a wider knoledge base in the field so what I do will be better. Is any one able to give me links to web sites that will help me do this.

Thanks

Acko

I can recommend Audio Made Easy by Ira White. It's kept fairly fun and very simple, but the engineering detail in it is accurate as far as it goes.

At the other end of the spectrum, everyone interested in audio should have a copy of The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. This is not a book you'll sit down and read from start to finish but it's a reference you'll use for the rest of your career, every time you need to look up a formula or the wiring plan to solder a specific adaptor cable. I'm on my second copy and it's a dog-eared mess but the most used volume in my sound library.

Finally, I second the recommendation of the online Rane notes but the link above is to a specific topic. The main index is HERE.

Bob

One book is best avoided, however:

The Ultimate Live Sound Operator's Handbook (Bill Gibson) has a number of technical errors embedded in the otherwise good material. Some of these are serious - such as lifting mains earths to solve hum problems. It's probably best to avoid this publication until you can sort the wheat from the chaff....

I know you wanted links to reading stuff, but another (in my opinion) great way to learn more is to actually do it. If you can, get some alone time in the hall with the stuff suggested above, set it all up and have a play. See what happens if you do "x" and how to use a graphic to graphic out "y" feedback and see what is causing "z" earth hum.

Just my 2p.

I have mixed feelings about Tom's post.

It's true to say that there are many things to do with sound that can only be learned by experience, preferably under supervision. All the theory in the world only goes so far compared to actually doing--and hearing--a live sound mix.

However, I think the OP's instincts are right to get some background theory in place. Standing behind a FOH mixer is rarely a place conducive to explaining WHY something is done a certain way or getting relatively complex things across. Generally your in a noisy, busy environment and/or one where too much talking is frowned on.

So, yeah, you need to learn by experience--but the more theory you have behind you first, the better.

Bob

I know you wanted links to reading stuff, but another (in my opinion) great way to learn more is to actually do it. If you can, get some alone time in the hall with the stuff suggested above, set it all up and have a play. See what happens if you do "x" and how to use a graphic to graphic out "y" feedback and see what is causing "z" earth hum.

Just my 2p.

I have mixed feelings about Tom's post.

It's true to say that there are many things to do with sound that can only be learned by experience, preferably under supervision. All the theory in the world only goes so far compared to actually doing--and hearing--a live sound mix.

However, I think the OP's instincts are right to get some background theory in place. Standing behind a FOH mixer is rarely a place conducive to explaining WHY something is done a certain way or getting relatively complex things across. Generally your in a noisy, busy environment and/or one where too much talking is frowned on.

So, yeah, you need to learn by experience--but the more theory you have behind you first, the better.

Bob

And it would suggest there's a good chance of being responsible for some horrendous sounding gigs, when things went wrong, and you have no idea of how to get out of the mire.

Edit to add.....

Feedback can blow things, annoy people, and do expensive damage so I'd rather not hear it in the first place, thank you....

Learning in a real world is in my opinion the best way forward......BUT, you really need to stay focussed in reality, do a good job, learn from you're mistakes......but don't make too many. They will be remembered.

I'm a lampy at heart but when I have sound questions I delve into: The Live Sound Manual - which has no stated author but instead is a huge collection of well written information from choosing gear to making it work or finding out why it does or doesn't work.

I found it really helpful when I first started looking at sound as well as fairly interesting and easy to read.

eldar

p.s. - ISBN 0-87930-699-8

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0879306998.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Archived