Allen Keys - Metric or Imperial

Genus

Hello all,

In a normal theatrical situation, are metric or imperial allen keys more common? I'm looking into getting some because I seem to keep having to borrow them for some scaff etc, yet I have no idea if they're metric or imperial.

Any ideas?

Genus

Gareth is right, however I'd add that my imperial set (I brought a set of each, really they don't cost much!) doesn't languish unused ether. So a vote for get both if you can afford it. I've got cpc item numbers TLDR14128(imperial) and TLDR14127(metric) Both of which are £4.54 inc. VAT. Not great quality but good enough - they don't break \ get rounded off when undoing nasty rusted bolts unlike really cheap sets. High System Fixtures are a particular culprit for needing imperial allen keys.

(Anyone would think I was putting off updating our website, going as far as to look up old cpc orders...)

Get a fold out set for convenience, can actually put some force on them:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CA...ing+Hex+Key+Set

Dont get a fold out set!

If they dont snap at the pivot whilst your trying to undo a tight allen bolt, then they will be too short to reach an awkward grub screw tucked away somewhere.

You can A) get a hell of alot more force with a normal allen key than a fold out set, B) Reach alot more places with a conventiona allen key set and C) A conventional allen key set will last alot longer, as long as you dont loose them!

Oh and most common sizes are by far metric, although a few of the non mass produced products from America have Imerial, but is very rare.

Rich

Dont get a fold out set!

If they don't snap at the pivot whilst your trying to undo a tight allen bolt........

Mine is at least 8 years old, not snapped anything yet.

.... then they will be too short to reach an awkward grub screw tucked away somewhere.

My one's longer than the one linked to (ooh er :** laughs out loud **: ). There are times when I need a conventional one, but not often. We have some music stands here that need tightening fairly often, so an allen key for those (2.5mm) lives in my wallet to save me a walk.

That said, I've got fold up & conventional ones of both sets of sizes + some extra long that have been needed over the years for Q cutters, JBl control ## speakers etc.

Dont get a fold out set!

If they don't snap at the pivot whilst your trying to undo a tight allen bolt........

Yes but if you putting on 'more force than the conventional' then unless you buy and expensive, all metal one (unlike the one linked to), its going to snap.

Rich

I have one of the ones linked to and frequently hit it with a hammer or shove a lever on it to loosen stuck screws and haven't broken it yet. The only times I've had trouble getting it in somewhere I've needed a long handled one anyway so a normal set wouldn't have fared any better.

Cheers guys, much appreciate the info.

I'm getting a Metric set of regular Allen keys (not folding) and a friend of my has a spare imperial set which I'm getting :** laughs out loud **:.

On another note, I've just discovered Screwfix, decided I quite like it.

Genus

On another note, I've just discovered Screwfix, decided I quite like it.
Your wallet probably won't. Not that they are expensive, just to damned easy to buy "stuff" because it might be useful!

I have to carry both at work as we have lots of Unicol trolleys and stands with a mix screws. If we ever take only one set, it is a certainty that the trolley will be the other type, or worse both imp & metric.

Dont get a fold out set!

Yes but if you putting on 'more force than the conventional' then unless you buy and expensive, all metal one (unlike the one linked to), its going to snap.

Rich

Actually the Stanley ones are glass reinforced composite and are *very* hard to break, Bondhus ones are a bit shorter and are really a bit crap. Metal fold outs that have encountered have all been terrible quality.

For long reach T handled drivers are generally a better bet.

For serious force 3/8 drive socket insert bits are the tool, Halfords pro range of tools is excellent.

Never want to encounter the chronic keyring sets of bent hexagonal plastic again, hex socket cap screws denote high tensile and are darn hard to drill out if you chew the head up.

Leatherman PSTII has a well handly tool adaptor that takes 6mm hex drive bits.

Several makes are good. I use these ones.

Fold up ones

http://www.bondhus.com/products/foldups/body-0.htm

Ball ended ones

http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body32.htm

The Bondhus ones have a no quibble warranty normally I loose them before they break.

And for those little or not so little, difficult to reach grub screws

http://www.longs.co.uk/acatalog/xcelite.html

You buy replacement blades for the them as well

The Xcelite nut runners are good as well.

This is pretty good for when you need a long reach, shame it's discontinued

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=2035171

doug

I think Unicol are 10mm; I know I've been caught out in the past by something, probably them or Keeclamps, that were bigger than the range of the set I've got, although it may just be mine only go to 6mm. Anyway I'd advise making sure you've got up to 8 or 10, depending on which is needed.

Archived