MAC 250 STRIKE ERROR

ALEX 1406

I've just changed 2 bulbs in my MAC 250 ENTOURS, since I have changed them they will not strike anymore. I've used a PHILLIPS MSD 250/2 bulb which is recommended by Martin but now they both flash up with a lamp error message. Any ideas?

I´m not too hot on mac 250s but are we sure its the lamp at falt..

Just stating as our coemar cf1200´s all have 2 fuses.. one for electronics circuit and one for ballast/lamp circuit.

if the later blows. the fixture boots as normal but will not strike the lamp.

Worth a nosey just incase.

As stated.. check for the striking sound of the ignitor.

You can take a standard tester in AC volts mode and check the ENTRANCE of the ignitor IE EXIT of ballas.

do NOT I reapeat NOT try testing the output of the ignitor... you dont want to know what would happen.....

If there is a "low" output from the ballast (ie less than 230) then the ballast is at fault... if there is a good output from the ballast than it is working correctly.

Later if the ballast is proven to work, borrow an ignitor from another fixture and install it temporarily in this fixture.. if it striks the lamp, we are now sure its the ignitor at fault.

Also while the fixture is Unplugged... point test all the cables inthe circuit.... is there an air-gap somewhere?!

Good luck and feel free to pm or message here for more questions.

Did you reset the lamphours and lamp strikes counter when you changed the lamp?

This wouldn't cause a lamp error message.

Likely culprit is the igniter but as stated above do not attempt to meter an igniter unless you know what your doing as your meter will never work again to put it mildly. Something else worth checking is continuity on the wiring loom from the ballast to igniter but if you test at the igniter and you have correct voltage then it eliminates the loom.

Outside chance but you could also have a duff batch of lamps, but that's more unlikely.

If you want to measure the voltage at the starter strike the lamp and masure the voltage at the OUTSIDE TWO PINS of the starter. Do not touch the middle pin because you will blow your multi-meter....and probably yourself!

You should get 240v at the starter when the lamp is struck if you get this voltage you know that the lamp circuit is OK before the starter and the likely issue is then going be the starter itself or the lamp.

If you are in any doubt please ring our service department on 01622 755442 and they will take you through some tests to find the cause of your problem.

Did you reset the lamphours and lamp strikes counter when you changed the lamp?

This wouldn't cause a lamp error message.

However, Doug is of course quite correct that it is best practice to reset both counters, to assist with future diagnosis and admin...

• 2 weeks later...
Its now saying 'HOT' when I strike the lamp after resetting the lamp hours. Is this common?
"HOT" means that the lamp is too hot to restrike.

If it's showing when the ficture is cold, then the temperature sensor (or wiring to it) has failed.

I don't remember where this is in an Entour - give Martin Lighting a call and ask!

Hi

'HOT' means that after an attempt to strike the lamp it will make you wait eight minutes before it'll let you have another go. This is normal.

If the light sensor think that the lamp is on but the relay says its off then you'll get 'SHER'. You can test this by opening the chassis and exposing the sensor to light (its to the right of the gobo module with the lens facing you)

'HTER' means that the unit has either lost the head temperature sensor or its reading cold when the unit thinks it should be warm or vice versa.

'LERR' occurs after a timeout when the lamp circuit is energised but both the light sensor and the temp sensor state that the lamp has not struck. After LERR is shown you'll have to again wait 8 minutes before it'll let you re-strike the lamp.

Your first port of call would be to try a lamp which you know to be working, before you start trying to replace ballasts or ignitors.

All the best

Timmeh

"HOT" means that the lamp is too hot to restrike.

If it's showing when the ficture is cold, then the temperature sensor (or wiring to it) has failed.

I don't remember where this is in an Entour - give Martin Lighting a call and ask!

This is not true, if you get the HOT message when the lamp is cold there is a problem with the Light sensor. You will get this message if the fixture has sent a lamp on command (ie the lamp relay has clicked over) and the light sensor has not detected that the lamp has struck. Check the light sensor and its wireset, it is located on the fan plate inside the head.

If you still have a problem then call the office on 01622755442

Archived