Kinda time sensetive: Can I run MPX and DMX in the same system?

tabikat

Hey,

I'm a student and I've just started my first TD job and I'm having problems with my lighting system. I'm running two Leprecon LD-360 dimmer packs and one Matrix Dimmer pack with a Stage Desk-16 console. I've narrowed down the problem to the fact that the Leprecon's run MPX and the Matrix and SD-16 run DMX. I know that the two do not work together, but I was wondering if there was any way to get them to cooporate without having to buy new dimmer packs.

If anyone could help me I would be eternally greatful. Even if its just to tell me that I'm screwed. Its kinda time sensetive.

Thanx,

Tabi

So just to clarify: You have a console that outputs, at the same time, MPX and DMX? And you want to run from the two outputs on the console, to the respective dimmer packs?

Or you have a console which outputs either MPX or DMX, and you want to convert it to the other standard, to get all the dimmers to run off the one console?

If this is the correct scenario, it's unlikely you'll find something off the shelf. MPX is definately not as common as DMX.

Or have I got it completely wrong?

Maybe also have a read of this: http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...serid=DMX-tools

Cheers

(oh, and welcome to the Blue Room :angry: )

David

edit: Beat to it :)

The Stage Desk-16 console outputs DMX512 which is a digital control protocol. However, MPX is an analogue protocol; there's some information here. First of all establish that the SD-16 can control the Matrix dimmer pack and then, as 3guk & david have said, you'll need to get a DMX to MPX converter for the Leprecon dimmers.

I'm intrigued to know how you ended up with this strange mixture of kit.

Edited for SPaG

Archived