A really nice but small mixer!

Chubbs the Techie

Hi all,

Our main hall at my school, where we have our assemblys (ie where the headteacher tells us how wonderful/awful we are every friday morning) holds about 600 (size of our school!). Until recently, we didn't have a PA system in there, so the head had to shout (alot). Now that we do, we have a nice amp and speakers (four 12", two at front, two in middle, with a delay), but an appaling 19" unbranded mixer. The result is that our (quite nice) wireless mic's are made to sound like monkey farts through the (rather nice) PA system. So bad, that I tried my teeny behringer xenyx mixer and it sounded nicer.

So, the head has asked us to solve the problem of a bad link in the chain, saying we can spend a decent amount of money on a mixer (can be rack-mountable, tabletop, whatever!) that will cater for him in assembly, could be used for small plays, conferences, and can plug a DVD, CD, Ipod in etc.

So the question; whats a nice mixer (as I say money isn't really an issue) with about 4 mic inputs and a few line inputs? If it'll last a long time that would be nice. So I'm looking for quality of sound and build quality, AND simple enough to be operated by your average student if need be.

Thoughts please!

How about an A&H Mixwizard 14:4:2? 10 mono mic/line channels, two stereo channels and plently of routing options. Excellent sound and build quality. Only thing that might go against it is the finger factor - plently of options that could get fiddled with.

thats why I suggested the soundcraft instead, everythings straight forwards, especially if your not used to the desk, you dont have to stare at it for a good few minutes trying to figure out why it isnt doing what you think it should. also its a simple mixer the soundcraft so good to teach students on.

just my humble opinion.

I'd second the A&H MixWiz (or the new Soundcraft rackmount GB mixer).

You might want to consider clamping a piece of clear polycarbonate across all of the controls except the faders. That helps get around the fiddle factor, and helps remove the "I'd rather land Concorde blindfolded only guided by skippy the bush kangaroo than try and operate that thing" fear factor.

Either of the above brands (sorry - Soundcraft or A&H, not Phonic), or from left-field, there was the American DJ thing mentioned a few weeks back that has a dock for an Ipod. Never seen, much less heard one, but if I was looking for a solution to your situation, I'd want to find out more about it.

A bit like this one, but not quite what I meant.

This is the one I meant, Alesis... No idea, never used one, but it looks interesting! Maybe too fiddle-able for what you need.

At the risk of "me tooing" if the budget allows both Soundcraft and Allen & Heath are excellent choices. If budget does start to bite, then I've seen the Yamaha MG series in many schools (including the one my son and daughters went to) and they seem to last well and cost not too much.

However, at the risk of starting an argument, I'd avoid anything by Phonic like the plague. They're cheaply and badly built. won't last and (when I took one apart to try and fix it for a friend) found electrical wiring so badly done as to be potentially dangerous. I used to have some photos but alas they were on an old computer I left in the UK.

Bob

Looking at this from the 'fiddle' factor point of view, we've done several installs in schools recently using Allen & Heath iDR units with PL remotes (usually PL-10's). This enables us to set all the controls which your average day to day user doesn't need and leave them with level control and buttons to recall presets for different setups or types of event.

Not as cheap as your average small mixer but in terms of reliability and lack of equipment damage it soon pays for itself.

Archived