Earplugs

AndyJones

Snipped......

On a slight tangent, and it is a bit of a basic question, but "Why are gigs so loud anyway"?! but many gigs I go to - including some of ours sometimes - I just think that it's too loud! Clearly one answer is that "the punters like it that loud" but why? I'd much rather have clarity of the music I've come to listen to than just being hit by a wall of noise. Granted, one of our bands has a lot of sub which people (apparently) want to feel, but that's not always the case.

Perhaps I'm just old before my time!

No, not really... On one occasion, when I did FOH for a support band, the engineer for the headliner came up to me and said " Wooah, you like it loud, don't you"... I was a little bemused by that, as I didn't think it was that loud in the first place.

The headline act came on, and his levels were pretty much the same as mine.... :D

The interesting point here, is that the FOH PA was an (installed) 20kW Turbosound PA, in a 500 capacity venue.

After the gig, when the DJ started, it was impossible to talk to the person next to you even if you shouted directly in their ear.......

It made load out a bl00dy nightmare, because none of us could communicate anywhere within the venue. It really was that loud!

We finished about 12am......I really feel sorry for the punters who were there till 6am.

The SPL's in that venue were really scarry.......especially considering it's a nightclub that goes from abput 9pm to 6am... so that's the possibility of 9 hours worth of hearing damage, on an average friday or saturday night!

Snipped......

On a slight tangent, and it is a bit of a basic question, but "Why are gigs so loud anyway"?! but many gigs I go to - including some of ours sometimes - I just think that it's too loud! Clearly one answer is that "the punters like it that loud" but why? I'd much rather have clarity of the music I've come to listen to than just being hit by a wall of noise. Granted, one of our bands has a lot of sub which people (apparently) want to feel, but that's not always the case.

Perhaps I'm just old before my time!

No, not really... On one occasion, when I did FOH for a support band, the engineer for the headliner came up to me and said " Wooah, you like it loud, don't you"... I was a little bemused by that, as I didn't think it was that loud in the first place.

The headline act came on, and his levels were pretty much the same as mine.... :P

The interesting point here, is that the FOH PA was an (installed) 20kW Turbosound PA, in a 500 capacity venue.

After the gig, when the DJ started, it was impossible to talk to the person next to you even if you shouted directly in their ear.......

It made load out a bl00dy nightmare, because none of us could communicate anywhere within the venue. It really was that loud!

We finished about 12am......I really feel sorry for the punters who were there till 6am.

The SPL's in that venue were really scarry.......especially considering it's a nightclub that goes from abput 9pm to 6am... so that's the possibility of 9 hours worth of hearing damage, on an average friday or saturday night!

Welcome to my world!!! Seriously thats why I put my twopenneth in. When I went deaf it was the worst feeling in the world especially when I re-alized it was my fault for not protecting my hearing. Remember there's no cure for permanent hearing loss ;)

• 1 month later...
Sorry, I know it is off the subject slightly again, but if you choose not to use ear plugs, it may be worthwhile to go for a hearing check-up regularly to see just how much your hearing may be deteriorating. Alternatively to see if the ear plugs are working. Always good to check it out if your hearing is your livelihood.

So... getting back to the subject of earplugs.... does anyone have any recommendations, taken from the range available from Arco?

Bruce.

I gave an example of type I use in second post. I'm sure they're available from Arco being a popular 3M model.

I had a pair of custom fit -20dB flat response filtered plugs made for me by Ultimate Hearing.

Yes they're expensive, but the flat respone across the spectrum means that everything sounds pretty much the same. I same pretty much the same as at the end of the day, its not going to sound exactly the same, but it is quite easy to get used to the slight differences and work with them.

I find that everything sounds very very tight and compressed when listening through my plugs, not in a bad way, it just takes a little getting used to!

Archived