Fuel Prices

steve h

Morning All

Im at a stage where a couple of things have got me thinking about what I want to do next in my life. Im in quite a nice job in a school, but want to move on to bigger and better things. Part of the equation is fuel prices. Im just wondering how this is effecting people...expecially freelancers who may have to travel distances to jobs. Ive noticed a dramatic increase in price on a regualar trip I do between Oxford and Congleton (Cheshire) for a band I play in.

Are people passing costs onto the employees, or soaking up the extra costs themselves?

My final point would be asking people to comment on, in their experience, how things may go if costs continue to increase

Many Thanks

Steve

Well, in the professional sector...

Inland Revenue each year determine a "per mile" figure that is allowable for employees to use when claiming business mileage and if you stick to that there's no tax on the claim. Most places I've worked use that Inland Revenue figure. It's worth noting that this doesn't just include petrol but also a calculation of the true cost of running an average vehicle including insurance, road tax, depreciation, maintenance, etc.

Bob

... if you stick to that there's no tax on the claim. ...

Even better than that, if your employer pays you at less than the official rate you can, if you can be bothered to fill in a Self Assessment form, offset the difference against other income.

There's plenty of people who engage freelancers who pay less than the 40p inland revenue rate. Some people either soak up the difference or think they are getting a great deal with roughly half that rate.

The Revenue's figure hasn't shifted, yet the 30%+ increase so far this year is pretty unpleasant - and the one corporate client I have that pays a mileage allowance haven't increased theirs for years, and is currently 37p/mile, so shortly, won't really be worth doing the long journeys they often want me to do. Still, Mrs Tax seems happy that the difference is claimable. The fact the Government are making now more money from their own tax on fuel, as the price before tax has gone up, but not increasing allowances is a bit very annoying.

As a rental company, we've upped the mileage charge to our clients. It costs 27p a mile on fuel alone at the moment...

As a rental company also. We're currently reviewing our transport costings..........And need at least an extra 20% on what we're currently charging. And that could rise further. Other transport costs are being factored in.

One of my clients pays me 37p a mile. I cycle pretty much everywhere and reckon including the five to ten quid I spend a month on cycle stuff (clothes, repairs etc) I end up earning about £4 an hour for traveling, which isn't too bad bearing in mind I really enjoy it and it saves having to go to the gym. :angry:

I suppose after reading peoples feedback (thank you very much!) I am now left wondering - are freelancers feeling less inclined to go for jobs further away, due to the rising cost...and are employees in the same way not wanting to hire people from further distances. If not so much now, can you see this situation arising

Thanks once again

Steve

I suppose after reading peoples feedback (thank you very much!) I am now left wondering - are freelancers feeling less inclined to go for jobs further away, due to the rising cost...and are employees in the same way not wanting to hire people from further distances. If not so much now, can you see this situation arising

Thanks once again

Steve

I don't think so, we're just all just looking into the costs a little deeper...... Weather a customer is prepared to pay the milage charge is another story though.

We give them a quote ( including any transport costs), and ultimatley, it's up to them weather they go ahead with the job (or not).

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching the news today...with all the happy news reports!!!!!

It came to my attention that the petrol prices are not increasing (apparently) that 2% in october that they clained it would, but is this enough?

As a driver myself im finding it more and more difficult to find the balance between earning the money and paying for my living expenses and mostly fuel. It is really putting me off using my car at the moment, which is not great for locations where cars are needed.

Is the petrol prices worth it, when it somes to driving to venues and jobs further away from home?!

Archived