Fuel Prices

steve h

I was watching the news today...with all the happy news reports!!!!!

SNIP.....

Is the petrol prices worth it, when it comes to driving to venues and jobs further away from home?!

Well,a little perspective here. Firstly, the duty hike hasn't been cancelled, it's just being 'put on hold' for the moment.

It was ( will be) only a 2p duty rise.......

Going back not so many months ago when fuel was under the £1.00 / litre mark it is now over the £1.30 mark.....The government are getting an extra 4.5p per litre on VAT alone......they don't need that 2p becaust the VAT's giving them more.

Is it worth it?

Well in my case, I can't fit my gear in a bus :)

Not too sure of the current figure but the duty on fuel is about 68%, I wonder how many people are actually aware that the VAT is charged on top of this, so you are effectively paying VAT on a tax!! Also in these conversations on fuel costs, don't forget the LEZ charges which are adding a large expense (£200 per day) to anyone taking a 7.5 tonner within the M25 & the congestion charge!! Time for the revolution I think!!

I wonder how many people are actually aware that the VAT is charged on top of this

There was an organisation somewhere trying to debate that that wasn't actually legal... but I dont know what happened to them but there's a petition at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonFuelDuty/ which states "As far as I can tell, VAT is a tax levied on the difference between a commodity's price before taxes and its cost of production. It therefore seems to me that VAT on fuel should be charged just on the price BEFORE Fuel Duty is added."

This double taxation does seem unethical at least, illegal at worst, but who are we to question the government :)

Archived