Choreographed water fountains

drummerrhys

No one has mentioned whether the pumps need some sort of automatic bypass for when there happens to be no spout output. It seems to me that the bypass ought to be throttled, so that the height of (say..) the central spout does not suddenly decrease when all the side jets come on.

If you don't have days and days to tech this, you may be disappointed. Since there are niche companies that do this for parties, maybe you could find one that will let you look at the equipment as a professional courtesy. But, like Peter Pan flying, it's a likely to be very "proprietary". Over here, they're typically called "Dancing Waters".

I managed to pick up a beer pump from a local pub that closed down (no Beer sadly) and it had a sensing circuit so that it only powered up when pressure dropped on the output side - the tap was opened. This could be of use as no bypass will be needed. It also produced a very high jet of water. You wouldn't think they'd be that powerful looking at the flow from a beer tap, but then you imagine the rise from a cellar and you start to see how powerful they have to be. Unfortunately it was used to launch model bottle rockets a few times too often and I don't think it's around any more.

This made me smile! I did a water-show a couple of years back using solenoids and a variety of taps..... We had the solenoids controlled by the LX desk through Dimmers (being a soundie I don't know the name but they were on/off rather than dimmable....?). The solenoids weren't drawing enough power so we linked each one in parallel to a 60w lamp! Made one hell of a disco sequence during the show in the marquee behind the audience! The pump forthis was fairly hefty (we hired it from Travis Perkins) and put a variable pressure valve on it to protect the solenoids.

We only used four pumps (from Machine mart I think) that cost around £40 each - the issue was that we were using hose pipe and 10mm copper pipe - getting the convertor to jump down from the pumps 1 1/2 (ish) inch output was a nightmare and cost around £60! These fed various hozelock products and weren't too good! So I don't advise it, we used taps to send the water to various areas and a very well co-ordinated operator!

All in all the solenoids worked very well (they were exactly the same ones found in a washing machine) we had them placed above the pool on a network of braces, and housed in sealed boxes.... We found that it was better to have the solenoids at the jet end rather than the pump end to save pipes!

It was very hard work but great fun!

The original company that did (and still do) this is Waltzing Waters. You can do truly beautiful things with water and light.

Googling for any combination of words like dancing and fountains or waters will get lots of things to look at. Planet Christmas (registration required) has a water displays subtopic in the DIY area, maybe worth a look.

Getting the existing pumps controlled by switching their motors seems fraught! Motors dont like being switched rapidly and the switches die quickly.

Going for a pump like http://www.williamsons-oldham.co.uk/fire/c...hp?imgid=000034

Gives you the flow rate and pressure to have a pressure main and several solenod controlled jets

Archived