Strangely Common Names

Bryson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really for a tech question it is quite acceptable to introduce a technical Dave.

I remember touring and each theatre had its own technical Dave. Sometimes more than one other times they had a rota and people would 'dep' the Dave roll.

What has happened to this important theatrical tradition?

Has the arts council cut the budget for staffing and training of Daves to the theatre?

In Scotland the tradition is for a tech Iain.

;)

Really for a tech question it is quite acceptable to introduce a technical Dave.

I remember touring and each theatre had its own technical Dave. Sometimes more than one other times they had a rota and people would 'dep' the Dave roll.

What has happened to this important theatrical tradition?

Has the arts council cut the budget for staffing and training of Daves to the theatre?

In Scotland the tradition is for a tech Iain.

;)

And all Buildings Managers must be named Bob. Our last building manager was called Bob. The current one is called Bob. His deputy is Mick (but his middle name is Bob)

Well I'm definitely a Bob, but I'm tech Bob - although I'm on a week's hols at the mo doing some building... hmmm how strange...

In our building its birthdays that are the common thing... I share mine with two others

Just for the record... Bob really is my uncle (and I too am an uncle Bob) so I never understand why people say "... and Bob's your uncle!" - I already know!

More sleep for me methinks! ;)

Bobs not my uncle...

but he is a very good builder, no matter how big the job is he does it in 1 day, and always has time to clean up at the end, and come to think of it I have never seen him ask for money...humm somthing fishy going on there I think

student life... time to analise Bob The Builder... ;)

As I understand it, there's always a Steve at the end of the line when it goes pear-shaped, and to call in at the last minute when the lighting man / sound man / DSM / scene shifter falls dead drunk.

He's always either bitterly cynical or incredibly chirpy whatever happens, and always will come out for a pint after it's all done - but only one, mind you.

N.

Has it struck anyone else that there are a lot of Pauls running Lighting Hire companies? There are three within 20 mins of me.

Jo's (4 come to mind) make very good DSMs, too, I find.

Just musing...

Guest lightnix

How strange, I'm a Taurean too.

When I started in the West End back in the 80s, it seemed that most technical blokes were called either Dave, Ian or Andy.

Of those it always seemed that the Daves were the trusty stalwarts, the Ians were the whingers / backstabbers and the Andys were the wide boys / troublemakers.

The Playhouse Theatre in Weston has a huge number of Pete's.

The Technical Manager is a Pete, The Trainee is a Pete and I'm a Pete. If we're all working there it can get a tad confusing. However when we had the Sooty Show in a few years back, the Pete Quotient went up to 6 as there were three with the company! It was a little odd to say the least as when someone called 'Pete' there were at least 4 replies! ;) We are thinking of making it a theatre policy for all new staff to change their name to Pete to avoid confusion... :angry:

Archived