Martin SmartMacs...

dave singleton

If they didn't design them for rental it sounds like they might not of designed them to be moved much. I wonder how long they will last in a rental stock before then meet their end!?

It is true that this fixture is primarily aimed at the installation market, but that does not mean that it will not stand up to life on the road. The only weak points I see from a rental point of view are the two covers for the display and cables on the base, they are likely to go walkabout on the road. However these are only cosmetic and in no way affect the functionality of the product. In terms of construction this is a very sturdy unit and the two arms make it far stonger than the miniMAC. Its been designed as a low maintenance product, so in that sense its ideal for the rental market.

my uncle had the smart macs, as well as the intellibeams when he used to setup gigs - they definitely add that extra "oomph" on gigs. if it's indoors, methinks the mini macs will do just fine - a mirror/bouncer placed strategically does a lot of wonders.

my uncle had the smart macs, as well as the intellibeams when he used to setup gigs - they definitely add that extra "oomph" on gigs. if it's indoors, methinks the mini macs will do just fine - a mirror/bouncer placed strategically does a lot of wonders.

Think there is a slight misunderstanding here and got your macs the wrong way round??

Anyway, I have recieved a quote from 5 star for these cases and shall probably go with them, I was recommended to try Amptown too.

If memory serves the picture from 5star shows the head going in at a 90deg angle which would solve the gobo wheel problem.

I have no hesitation putting these units out on hire, they look well designed and will stand up to the rigours of hire. As Matt says the covers may go walkies and I shall probably not put them out on hire with them fitted. The only drawback to the Minimac is they are heavier. BUT I knew that when I purchased them, the silent operation more than makes up for that.

Hi Mark,

I would certainly recommend giving Amptown a call as well, we have a lot of Amptown cases in our hire stock and they've proved to be solid well priced cases, as I'm sure you appreciate working for a hire company yourself they get a hammering.

Just had a quick check on the Amptown site and it appears they do a case for the SmartMAC but unfortunately not in their rubberised SiP series which is a shame.

Saw these recently at performatech in Glasgow. Was suitably impressed with them and if possible would definitely replace the current MiniMac (6 years old) stock with them if I was allowed access to the purse strings.

Unfortunately I'm not so I have to keep looking at the brochure instead.

Archived