Stage Manager in a new theatre

Hi

I haven't stage managed but have quite alot of technical experiance and have worked as DSM before.

however soon, I am taking my own crew into a theatre, this theatre will have no technical crew so I am having to get everyone. My only worry is I will forget something very obovius. this is the very first time when I will be the most senior technician and without having been to the theatre before the show. All am looking for is any tips thanks.

Rowan

P.S. sorry for the awful spelling

Make yourself a 'schedule' of when things need to be done by and a list of all the things you can think of that will need doing. Nothing worse then being asked 'what shall I do?' and you standing there going 'umm....'

Assign yourself a job that keeps you reasonably stationary and doesn't require a lot of detailed concentration - the crew will be coming to you for jobs to do.

Don't let crew stand around and do nothing!

Remember that even if you could do a job "better", you have to delegate the jobs to people who can do them "well enough" in order to get everything done.

Think your way through how the day will work: what has to be completed before you can move onto the next task etc etc. Have a list of small non-dependant easily interrupable tasks (cutting gel maybe) to utilize people who are sitting around waiting for something big to be finished before they can proceed.

Have an idea of who you could delegate subsets of the overall jobs to: (ie: "Dave, take these three people and do the lighting hang.")

I'd agree with Bryson, but also maybe modify it a little. I wouldn't automatically assign yourself a job. If you have a decent team, and you are pretty good as a fire fighter/fault finder/problem solver - having a dedicated job that you must do, stops you managing the rest. It's sometimes impossible to do, and is very difficult to do if you're a hand-on person. I guess it depends on if you want to be a stage MANAGER or the senior technician. It doesn't matter really - whatever you want, if you are in charge.

Whenever I have a weaker/less experienced crew, I never take on a job that forces me to be in one place. Not a good feeling to be stuck behind the sound desk out front with the show falling apart on stage and nothing at all you can do about it!

Management includes determining and allocating tasks to people you believe can do them, then chacking that the tasks are being done on time, on quality and on price. Having some times pre planned also helps you see if labour needs movig to keep everything up to target time.

An easy thing to forget when you're managing a team over a whole day:

Make sure everyone gets a break at some point.

If it's busy then spilt the breaks so there's always at least 2 people on site all the time, but make sure that you and the next most experienced person break separately. Don't think that if you just keep going things will get done quicker. They won't; you'll just get gradually more tired and slow down to a point where if you'd just taken half an hour or so earlier you'd have caught up and passed yourself easily.

Seems basic, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget.

Have fun!

If it's busy then spilt the breaks so there's always at least 2 people on site all the time, but make sure that you and the next most experienced person break separately. Don't think that if you just keep going things will get done quicker. They won't; you'll just get gradually more tired and slow down to a point where if you'd just taken half an hour or so earlier you'd have caught up and passed yourself easily.

Have fun!

... and how grumpy people can get when it IS forgotten. :rolleyes:

Have fun!

... and how grumpy people can get when it IS forgotten. :)

VERY GRUMPY!!!

A happy Tech is a Fed Tech.

Have fun and enjoy it!

Also , and this may be common sense to you, but when compiling your schedules , look at the big picture so when a busy multi tasking fit-up / rig is going on, there will be no clashes!!

ie get the riggers, sound and lampies on stage first and they can start rigging lx / putting points in , meanwhile the set crew can be loading the set into the scene dock ready for fitting up and doing smaller prep jobs

then sound and lx can move to FOH while the stage. is taken over by set construction.

lunch breaks, split them so stage and sound can break and lampies can have darktime and then for dinner break the sound dept can come in and make some noise while the space is quiet

Try and have a tea/coffee station near the work area. or just delegate someone to do a coffee run.

I think the fit up is a magical time for a production-so long as its organised properly otherwise it just a gateway to hell!!

Enjoy, stay focused and keep your sense of humour!!

Archived