Smoking.... without really smoking - finally :D

lewisurwin

Thought I should post this as this is a great way to have the effect of smoke without the actor having to put their health at risk, the audience complaining or breaking smoking laws

Gamucci is an electronic cigarette that contains no tobacco, no tar, or carcinogenic chemicals and (with the use of zero nicotine cartridges) no nicotine

They are available in the UK from websites such as I Want One Of Those (I think they deliver reasonably cheaply to the usa aswell)

These work by atomising, so it is not real smoke, but look exactly like it

These break no smoking laws because the smoking law states that it has to be lit or contain tobacco or any substance that can be smoked and as these are not lit and do not contain tobacco and are not smoked they are fully legal for use inside.

And the best bit is that as it is vaporised air the smell does not spread and does not seep into everything within the theatre (eg. drapes etc)

The only down side is that they are around £50 (approx $100) so may be a little out of certain peoples budgets, but these can be used again and again, as the replacement nicotine cartridges are actually the mouth pieces so there is less contamination issues.

Sooo...

Something with an (addictive) nicotene capsule for the user to inhale is perfectly safe, is it...?

:)

Gamucci is an electronic cigarette that contains no tobacco, no tar, or carcinogenic chemicals and (with the use of zero nicotine cartridges) no nicotine

My bold

:o

Sooo...

Something with an (addictive) nicotene capsule for the user to inhale is perfectly safe, is it...?

:)

My bold

Hmmm....

Yet their web site video states quite clearly that it's the nicotene cartridge is part of the whole reason for these being better substitutes for smokers trying to quit - because it tastes just like a normal cigarette.. (yeugh!!)

Looking around the site for reference to zero-nicotene carts, but not found it yet...

The reference to Zero Nicotine cartridges is under the FAQ and "What is a cartridge?" there are different strengths one of which is listed as zero! Could be very useful if the cartridges are cheap enough. The standard cartridges according to the products section are however tobacco flavoured. Not so good! But they say they are releasing some fruity flavour ones (high and "non" strength) in the near future!

Packs of 5 cartridges can be bought for £6.99 but only one online retailer at the moment!

Nathan

EDIT: to add more info!

2nd EDIT: Price added!

Surely the mouthpiece part which looks a bit like a 1920's cigarette filter thing will stop them being useful as a theatre alternative? Unless you're doing a 1920's show obviously.

I'm not sure! I thought that too at first but with a bit of orange paper and cotton wool to support the paper it could be fairly easily made to look a bit more convincing! The bit that I think most people have been impressed by is the production of fake "smoke"! As soon as they release the fruit flavoured cartridges I will definitely think more seriously about it!

Nathan

I'm not sure! I thought that too at first but with a bit of orange paper and cotton wool to support the paper it could be fairly easily made to look a bit more convincing!

Huh????

Reading that back later it's confused me as well! I think I was thinking of wrapping a piece of orange paper around the mouthpiece to hide the black bit and the supporting it from collapsing with cotton wool stuffed inside (between the mouthpiece and aforementioned paper). That's made what seemed really simple now seem like rocket science! I shall try and make a diagram and edit it into this post!!!

Picture

To clarify (if I can!) the black bit is the mouthpiece and the orange is the paper wrapped round the end. Whilst I agree it isn't identical to a cigarette, in most of the instances I can think to use it the effect and general appearance of the Gamucci would be fine for me! Note to self learn how to use picture function!

EDIT: Picture added

The thing that strikes me about them is that in addition to the 1920's mouthpiece, it looks a bit like... well, a tampon. While I'm sure that's fine for people using it to quit smoking, I doubt it'd be too convincing, especially in a small theatre.

Also just for the OP, smoking on stage doesn't brake the smoking law as has been discussed to great length elsewhere on this forum. Although their health impact / smell are no doubt significantly better than real cigarettes.

Edit - spelling :rolleyes:

Archived