Job Application

Right, I'm considering applying for a job at a theatre near to me (Job Title being "Casual Technician"). Reading through the information pack I am pretty confident I have everything they are looking for, including 11 months professional experience (as a casual elsewhere). The venue has two theatres, one small studio space (150 seats) and one 400 seat venue with a fly tower. The person spec. for the job lists, under essential, "Knowledge of general stage techniques including safe operation and use of counterweight flying systems".

I have never used a fly system (the theatre I currently work in is a 400 seater without flys), and I'm not going to have time to attend any relevant course before the deadline for applications passes. Apart from this I meet all the requirements for the job.

So, if you were in my shoes, would you apply or not?

It asks for "knowledge", not "practical experience".

Read up on it, and say you have knowledge on the application form. That ticks the box and doesn't prevent you getting an interview. If you do get an interview, explain that it's just theoretical knowledge, but you'd love to learn more. OK - so it's a "black mark" at the interview; hopefully your other talents will outweigh this.

Don't lie.

Training on counterweight flying doesn't take very long, a bit longer if its going to include loading and unloading, but even so I'm sure if you were otherwise a good candidate they'd be happy to train you.

Archived