Doing sound in France

misterbass

Hi all,

I've been asked to provide PA system and engineer for a band that I work with a fair bit. The gig is in SW France. I'm pretty much up to date with all my PAT and insurances etc. Is there anything locally that would preclude me from doing the job as I would in the UK? I've been recommended to use the Eurotunnel and I have a LWB hi top van to carry all the kit. Apparently the room has 63a single. I'm not hanging anything, I have no pyros or smoke. Just sound and a few LED pars.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Moderation: Moved to "The Office" since this has useful information about the paperwork and regulatory side of working on the continent.

did my first gig in paris last week, I was presented with a 63A 3PH breaker and had to take the plug off my cable and wire in a bare end. no problem but I wasn't expecting it! if you need a freelance audio engineer we had one with us on the job hangs out in these forums - top notch guy!

you might want to compile a list of all your kit as we got stopped by customs at the end of the toll road and they expected us to produce a list, not that we had to but we did and they didn't have a clue what it said but there were a few comments about the venue, aparently it's on par with the ritz or something....

also went in the tunnel as freight with all the trucks, quality! easy - no hastle! just make sure you don't bring any illigals back!

Hmmm.....I've done a trawl of the net inc the London Chamber site - would I be right in saying that a Carnet isn't applicable in France or the EC? It looks as though I may be doing the odd gig in Europe now so as much info as I can get would be cool.

Cheers!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

OK, I've spoken to London Chamber regarding Carnets and the guy in the export docs department said that I most definitely do not need a Carnet for France. This is only needed for movement of kit out of and back into the EC. But as I've said, this is all new to me so any info I'm getting here is so helpful. Is there any thing else that may trip me up?

Cheers!

When I was travelling with gear, a Carnet was not required in the EEC, but we always carried a full printed list of kit, with brief descriptions and serial numbers and made sure it was printed on some sort of official looking headed note-paper, complete with a signature of the company 'director'. This had no official or legal bearing whatsoever, but seemed to ease our passage with a number of officious border staff. I also have, in the dim recesses of my memory, a recollection that, not being in the EEC, the were some 'funnies' with Switzerland, but can't quite remember what they were. does that ring any bells with anyone else?

...some 'funnies' with Switzerland, but can't quite remember what they were. does that ring any bells with anyone else?

You mean like a sudden duty, payable on the spot in cash, on taking <insert random object here> into the country? Yep, been there done that.

I wonder if this would be better in the office.

My one bit of advice, check the lights on your truck every time you use it. I've had to pay on the spot "fines" in the past desptie having a kit of spares & fixing them on the spot.

...some 'funnies' with Switzerland, but can't quite remember what they were. does that ring any bells with anyone else?

You mean like a sudden duty, payable on the spot in cash, on taking <insert random object here> into the country? Yep, been there done that.

That wasn't what I had in mind (although I do find it very believable); it was something like it being OK to transport equipment through Switzerland without paperwork but not to use it while in the country, but as I said my memory is a bit hazy on the detail.

..... we always carried a full printed list of kit, with brief descriptions and serial numbers and made sure it was printed on some sort of official looking headed note-paper, complete with a signature of the company 'director'. This had no official or legal bearing whatsoever, but seemed to ease our passage with a number of officious border staff..........

I was asked for documentation - coming off the channel islands truck ferry! A carnet isn't a legal requirement, when I was doing occasional continental gigs a few years back, having a list of equipment and serial numbers etc. seemed to satisfy any enquiring official ;-)

I was asked for documentation - coming off the channel islands truck ferry! A carnet isn't a legal requirement, when I was doing occasional continental gigs a few years back, having a list of equipment and serial numbers etc. seemed to satisfy any enquiring official ;-)

Yep second that, carnet is only for moving stuff outside the eu but it helps to have a full list of kit. I guess it could say anything as they wouldn't know the difference between a graphic and a box of nails but makes it look above board and official!

yes make sure you have a warning triangle and hi vis vests for all passengers and a spare set of bulbs for your van - that is a legal requirement for europe I believe.

Also watch your weight, I have heard stories of getting nicked on the way back for being over weight and it's the driver that gets the fine!

We were 600KG over weight so we stripped a load of flight cases out and downgraded the speakers, mixer and amps that was a fun job moving 2 tons of kit on and off the scales till we got it right!

get yourself a good map or satnav, got totally stuffed in paris without it! and watch the rounderboats, they dont work like ours! apart from going round the other way they have right of way when entering them......

watch the rounderboats, they dont work like ours! apart from going round the other way they have right of way when entering them......

Not for a long time - though still be careful as some drivers still don't abide by the "Vous n'avez pas priorte" signs on the entrance to roundabouts.

• 1 month later...

Right, I'm just about to book the ferry for out trip. Before I do I just wanted one last double check from those with experience - I'll have a list of all the gear we're taking with serial numbers on headed paper, I'll have my PAT and PLI Certs, the van loaded with gear and driver and passengers tips the scales at just under 3500kg. Is there anything else that may cause a problem?

Cheers,

Paul

One other thing you may need to consider is Radio mics! Many continentals use different frequencies to the ones used in the UK, therefore if you take in mics from the UK they may be on illegal frequencies according to the country you are in!

Archived