Exterior RGB colour changing LEDs

Feed me AV

Hi there I'm looking for a set of four colour changing LED fittings to up light four wooden tiki mask for a mate of mine. He wants them to be LED colour changing on a budget. Any ideas are welcome. We did see some Par 30 or 38 fittings with a 51 led with auto colour change lamp in a local lighting shop but after asking a sales person I was told they didn't sell the lamp and it was not on their stock list and didn't know where to get them from.

If you're on a really tight budget, then can I suggest the little LED pixels I've mentioned before (I'm not on commission, honest :P). My previous post about them is here, with the actual info from the guy that makes and sells them here. He's currently out of stock, but should have some in stock in a few weeks. I've just brought a load of empty halogen flood cases from eBay to stick one or two pixels per case in, for a similar idea, creating a fairly highly IP rated LED flood, admittedly with two Cat 5s coming out to be daisy chained, but its only 12V, so no real risk. The main selling point being they are only about £6 each for full RGB dimming and DMX receiving. The slight downside for your project being they don't change colour automatically, but there are ways round that, from a cheap DMX desk, to modifying the code they use to colour change automatically. Alternatively something like Big Clive's RGB controller would be another option to look at and modify or home brew the LED fittings themselves as necessary. Clive is a member here, so may pop along with some more info or suggestions. The advantage of his controller is it does all the pretty colour changing stuff already, you just need to add LEDs.

I disagree with the better but the cheaper I cant comment on and unless you can quote on both items I dont think you can either as prices in this industry are dependent on who you know and who you are but I think if your prices are correct then you are not talking much difference between the 2

I should clarify comparison was between Delta R and Palco3 mobile, not Palco5 or Genio which is obviously smaller. And the prices were meant as a guide for either :P

But I have compared units side-by-side. I prefered the output of the Delta, especially the combined RGB so none of the horrible artifacts/off axis stuff. I can get much better colours, especially things like CTO & whites. Movement has full pan & tilt range unlike Palco mobile. IMO the only disadvantage of the Delta against the Palco is its size.

I should clarify comparison was between Delta R and Palco3 mobile, not Palco5 or Genio which is obviously smaller. And the prices were meant as a guide for either :P

But I have compared units side-by-side. I prefered the output of the Delta, especially the combined RGB so none of the horrible artifacts/off axis stuff. I can get much better colours, especially things like CTO & whites. Movement has full pan & tilt range unlike Palco mobile. IMO the only disadvantage of the Delta against the Palco is its size.

I've come a cross Prolight who do a 0.5 meter batten click here to see. http://prolight.co.uk/item/ledj76a/ these any good?

well the Palco 3 is cheaper again and is almost as bright at the Palco 5, the Genio also has the fixed or mobile version with different lens options for all the units etc.

I have also compared the units side by side and I would take the Palco as in my opinion the beam is nicer, the colour mix slightly smother as is the dimming curve, remember the Palco has been around a lot longer than the Delta and has benefited from constant R&D tweaks to software etc from feedback from customers that the Delta cant compete with as they haven't been about as long

but a lot of this is now personal choice you have to get both on demo and try them out

Could the martin exterior 200 LED be a possibility. However these units are expensive.

hth

joe

The added advantage of this fixture is the Amber and White LEDs give you a much broader colour range that you can choose from compared to fixtures with just RGB

Archived