Modifying Amps??

mctw

Hi,

this is a just a idea id like to run past someone who actully knows what they are talkin about, unlike a relatively newbie like myself. for part of our PA kit we use a powered mixer running 2 speakers, and another amp slaved onto the master output. not got any info on the amp as we picked it up very cheap, ex demo I think, all that it says on it is Skytech. seems to be bout 200-300w per side at 8ohms, and it also has a bridge mode, typical amp as far as I no!. however its outputs are in the form of terminal jacks, not sure if that the right name, its where the bare ended wire goes into a hole on a threaded pole, and the screw clamps it in place. its a stero amp, so theres for of these to do up. the speakers we use currently have XLR and 1/4 jack inputs, but are being changed to speakon to match the rest of our kit. the amps a total pain cos we have to strip down cables everytime we use it, which is not onli time consuming but extremly annoying. is there anyway that this amp could be easily converted to have speakon outputs instead?? wiring the cables directly in isnt really an opition as the kit is movved around a lot. we also operate on a zero budget, so we cant use any fancy stuff if you get me.

this might just be a completly pointless post, but oh well, worth a try.

cheers, mctw

Ps, sorry for rambling, its been a long day!

2 options

option 1 - make bare end to speakon adaptors and leave them permanently connected thus just pluggin in the cable to the adaptor

option 2 - modify the rear panel of the amp and fit 2 speakons

option 1 is cheapest and easiest

hope this helps

dan

Its binding posts by the way, and you could always make some small patch length cables, speakon connectors(female) on one end, and bare on the other,

permanently connected to your amp.

John Denim.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Ha ha, crosspost!

If I've understood you correctly, the setup you're using at the moment involves using a cable with a speacon one end (or XLR / Jack / whatever), and bare wires the other for the amp?

If so, then I don't see why you can't open the amp, disconnect the terminals going to the screw fittings on the back of the amp at the moment, remove the existing screw fittings, drill out the chasis to the required size, then screw in place a speacon chasis socket for each output of the amp and connect it up. Or have I missed something obvious?

Just be careful when you're drilling metal near electronics, at the very least cover all the circuitry for the amps up - it won't appreciate metal filings all over it!

EDIT: Another crosspost ;)

The permanent connection cables are definitely the easiest option - but I'd be weary about treating this as a long term solution if your gear is going to be shoved around everywhere. If it stays mainly in one place however and you're not really sure what you're doing, it might well be the better option.

I'd assume that since the original poster had to ask the question, they're not really comfortable or competent with basic electronics. If that is indeed the case, then opening the box up, drilling it and poking a soldering iron inside is not to be recommended.

I have three amps with binding post outputs. One permanently lives in a flight case - I fitted 2 chassis-mount Neutrik speakon sockets to the side, and have two short 2.5mm tails linking these to the binding posts. So you plug the cables into the side of the flightcase.

Amp #2 also lives in a flightcase. I use a very similar solution, except this time the 2 speakon sockets (and lots of other connections) live on a 1U panel across the back of the rack.

Amp #3 has a pair of short (6 inch) "tails" which are connected to inline speakon-style sockets. Unfortunately you couldn't get genuine inline speakon sockets when I built this - perhaps you can now...

Looks like Bruce is right,

After a quick browse I can only find panel sockets, and it is the male socket you need, not female as I had said before. (can't get the girlies out of my head!)

You will need a couple of these OP, mounted on a 1u spacer plate, thats assuming your amp is rack mounted, and you have the space.

http://www.pahirelondon.com/help.html

Failing that grab a cheap plastic box from RS, and insert the sockets into that.

I too would not really advise opening up the amp, plus there may not be the room for speakon sockets anyway.

If you are really unsure ask a local electronics shop (maplins maybe?) or P.A shop to help you.

John Denim.

Ignore the flippin male, female thing. I done wrong again didn't I ma!!! ;)

You need x2 number 1 in the picture OP!!!

I'll second the fact that in retrospect opening the amp up isn't the best idea if you don't know what you're doing with it. Somehow it skipped my mind that the original question pointed towards the fact that doing that would be a bit out of the comfort zone so to speak.

John - am I going completely crazy (entirely likely, I'm tired) or isn't it female chasis sockets that will need to be mounted? That link points to no less than 8 different types of connector!

EDIT: Ah sorry ignore that, I see you've updated it now ;)

Having read other's comments, I'd be tempted to point you towards Bruce's Amp #1 or #2 suggestion.

You are right Berry, as I had pointed out.

But if there is no rack available then he will still need to mount the connectors onto something.

John Denim.

EDIT: no worries ;)

Hello mctw,

Many amps that you'll find in audio hire companies will have different connectors to what is required on the speakers (ie Speakon - also called NL4, or EP5, or NL8, etc). What they often make up is a male to male jump from one audio connector to the other. Then on the other end of the jump (to the amp) a female to female coupler will be put on so you will have a female end to plug in to when you get on-site. For an example of a speakon to speakon connector see here.

When you take a male speakon connector apart you will find there are 4 screw termainals marked 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. Put the cable end from the red binding post to 1+ and the black pinding post to 1-. Connect your speakon coupler on the end of the male speakon and voila, you have a bare ends - female speakon jump, ready to connect your speakers to.

Oh and make sure you use loudspeaker cable to make the jump not mic/signal cable!

Good luck!

EDIT: This shouldn't cost more than £12-16 for the two jumps. £4ish for a coupler and £3ish for a male speakon connector, then some £s for cable.

use a blanking plate on the back of the rack case (if you have one) put chassis mount sockets on this, with short leads to the amp, similar to the above but there is no strain on the binding posts this way. you can also extend your inputs if you wish.

I have done this with my amps to convert from 1 with binding posts, and one with XLR to speakons, also gives me a passive link through to the second amp rack.

....(ie Speakon - also called NL4, or EP5, or NL8, etc).

Just a tiny pedantic note... the EP series is from Amphenol (formerly ITT Cannon) and is different from the Neutrik Speakon...

You're indeed correct Mr Lewis- I hadn't realised what I'd typed. I did not mean EP5 are Neutrik Speakon...

As regards the blanking plates solution, definitely a better bet for longer term uses.

Archived