SWL on a scaffold tube

Gerry

Hi

Done a BR, Google and Wicki search but haven't found the answer.

Anybody know a source of information for SWL of a steel tube for a given length and given wall thickness?

Cheers

Gerry

I'm not sure if you'll find a table which gives you exactly what you want, as the number and type of supports will affect the capacity.

There's tables of maximum bending moments, and the maximum load for a given span and moment capacity is easy enough to work out , but then you're getting into design work which you're not qualified to do....... I'm qualified, but not had much practice, so don't trust my own calcs until I've got the old man (chartered engineer) to check them! All been ok so far though :** laughs out loud **:

"Steelwork Design Guide to BS 5950-1: 2000 Volume 1 Section Properties Member Capacities", otherwise known as the "blue book", gives moment capacity for most common sections of structural steel. Page C-63 covers circular hollow sections.

Archived