Maximum stage height to require the use of a step?

jimbo7744

Hi Guys,

The question is pretty much the title of the topic, what is the maximum legal height of a stage from the floor, that would require the provision of a step or even if there is one?

The reason for asking is that a venue's H&S rep has said that the Revostage we are using is too high and requires a step to be provided. The height of the stage is 400mm.

I'm really not looking for posts about whether a stage of that height is uncomfortable to get up and down from or it is common to provide a step for stage of that height or that's the rules in this venue then just do it, but the H&S rep has stated that it is a legal requirement but cannot give me any legislation or even the maximum height a stage can be without providing a step. Just that it is too high.

Revostage linky

Many Thanks

Jimbo

edit to add "even if there is one?" comment

BTW I have Googled and searched the BR but not found any topic's covering this before, but would be more than happy for someone to link me to a previous topic if it has.

I've spent a while going through the yellow book, and can't find anything that sets a standard for this. The height of risers, as in stair height is specified linked to entry and exit - but this would not be appropriate to set. So as far as I can see, any height you think is reasonable would be just fine, if you'd chosen it in a competent manner, bearing in mind age, light level, handrail/no handrail - that kind of thing.

Your H&S person can't provide the info, because there isn't any.

Building Regulations Part K

K1 - Stairs and Ramps...

Stairs, ladders and ramps shall offer safety to users moving between levels of the building.

...and...

The requirements of this Part apply to stairs, ladders and ramps which form part of the building.

Section K1 Stairs

Steepness of Stairs

Rise and Going

Table 1.4

Institutional and assembly stairs, Rise (max) = 180mm, Going (max) = 280mm

Other stairs, Rise (max) = 190mm, Going (max) = 250mm

...and...

Twice the Rise plus the Going should be between 550mm and 700mm

The big question is 'do the Building Regulations apply to my stage?' If your stage is a true temporary structure then maybe not. But it'll still be a working platform for other legislation. And there are a whole load of requirements for temporary structures. Whatever the Building Regulations say you still need to risk assess the situation and to do this you need to base your assessment on some hard and fast science.

And you then need to think about disabled access.

In the end someone is going to have to make a judgement decision based on best practice.

REVO can supply a 200mm step tread which fastens onto their deck via 2 x clamps with the same allen key size as the deck top securing quarter turns.

The legislation for temporary stage can vary depending on the authority.

For example the ICC in Birmingham you can use a 200mm riser with a 200mm tread platform, but the NEC which is part of the same group but falls into a different authority you must provide treads which fall into the building regulations.

I would recommend contacting your Local Authority to assertain what they deem as acceptable for your case

The legislation for temporary stage can vary depending on the authority.

Being pedantic but the legislation is the same everywhere; it's just that people's interpretation of it varies :** laughs out loud **:

Know this may not be totally relevant, but I was always told that any height above 230mm (9") should be provided with a step, as the 230mm was a maximum comfortable height to step up.

As for the OP's question I'd suggest that you should add a step.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response so far.

We already had a set of steps for each of the stages we were building (several), but on-site the organiser decided that they wanted to split the stages in two, requiring an additional step per stage.

A set of steps are usually provided per stage or with more if requested.

Jimbo

Archived