transformer for spinmaster 1

Tigglet

I have been given a pair of mojo spinmaster 1 lighting effects. I believe that the transformer in one is not working. When I was first given them the lamps did not work. I replaced both lamp connectors and one worked. however the other refused to light up. I swapped parts back and forth and have decided that it is the transformer that is at fault. In the dodgy one, the DMX controls still work the transformer has several leads to it so I feel that it is only partially blown. I have not been able to trace a replacement transformer. As I was given these I am prepared to pay for a new transformer as I am sure that it will cost less than a new unit. any suggestions where I may pick up a new transformer?

Thanks

:P

Have you checked the small blue relay on the PCB, it supplies power to the lamp directly from the transformer. In my experience these overheat and burn out. Replacements are obtainable from Maplin Electronics for a couple of quid. Look for 24V ac on one side of the relay. If it's there then the transformer is ok

If the DMX still controls something then there MUST be power to the board so the transformer must be OK. The relay issue above is more likely. Find the relay, find the power contacts and look for volts. the contacts may be burned beyond passing current, or the coil may be blown. -Look for signs of overheating on the relay body. Look also for burned connections on the high current lamp circuit, failed crimps, overcooked joints.

If the DMX still controls something then there MUST be power to the board so the transformer must be OK. The relay issue above is more likely. Find the relay, find the power contacts and look for volts. the contacts may be burned beyond passing current, or the coil may be blown. -Look for signs of overheating on the relay body. Look also for burned connections on the high current lamp circuit, failed crimps, overcooked joints.

The original lamp connector block looked as if it had seen better days so I replaced this immediately. THere appears to be no other dammage to the wiring. I have found the offending relay. There does not seem to be any charring or other external damage. I Cannot test it this evening as I have no multimeter with me at home. I have little experience with relays. It appears to have 5 pins on it (feeling through the solder on the back) 3 on the right side and 2 on the left.

I am also not sure how to check that this relay is damaged without damaging any other components.

the marks on it are as follows the name on the relay is songle

on the left hand side on the right hand side

7A 240VAC 10A 125VAC

10A 28VDC 10A 28VDC

along ythe bottom

SRD-12VDC-SL-C

I have searched the code above for a replacement but no joy. I am sure that a replacement one should be no problems but not with this code number.

Thanks for your help.

:P

If the DMX still controls something then there MUST be power to the board so the transformer must be OK

Not necessarily, though incidences of power transformers going partially kaput are rare in this type of thing.

The toroidal variety are a devil for having single faulty windings, ie the Lamp winding is bad though the controls winding is fine...The NJD Predator range for example being shining examples of this fault, the mirrors will move great but the lamp doesn't light at all.

I can't however comment specifically on the transformer in the Geni, I agree the lamp relay is much more a likely cause...often over-run in these (and other) Chinese effects.

any suggestions where I may pick up a new transformer?

Thanks

:** laughs out loud **:

hi there,

we have transformers available here for around £40 each. if you want any further details please email me on:

a.baldwin@jedimanagement.co.uk

Cheers,

Andy Baldwin

Technical Director

Jedi Management Ltd

Hi

if the electronics is working ok

just check this

1. turn it on

2. wait for unit to reset

3. once reset (in S2L mode) tap the mic, if you do not here a 'click' of the relay

then, as suggested before the relay is dead

I would bet that that is the case

I would doubt the tranny has failed

Also on these effects, when the relay fails you will not be able to notice

just by looking as the 12+ I have repaired have never shown any signs

of damage just simply relay does not engage

no click no power to lamp

Cliveybaby

Archived