Use of PPE when working at height

The Gaffa

As I understand the regulations and also using common sense, the minimum age for working at heights in an educational establishment is 16. However if the students are under constant supervision by a "competent person" (as defined by the MH&SR) the age could be reduced to 14.

As several people have commented in this thread "Do a Risk Assessment".

Also I've noticed people have been mentioning the WAHR, BUT no mention has been made about the use of PPE (Harnesss & Hardhats) over the height of 2.5m above ground (A legal requirement I hasten to add).

Working in both professional theatre & educational establishments, My personal view is teach 'em the right way and explain why they should do it .

Follow the safety rules and all is well,

BUT no mention has been made about the use of PPE (Harnesss & Hardhats) over the height of 2.5m above ground (A legal requirement I hasten to add).

Can you quote a source for that? My understanding is that WAHR does not specify any specific heights (other than the requirement for inspection of work platforms over 2m).

It might also be worth mentioning that there is a legal duty to follow the safety hierarchy (don't do it, alternative methods, prevention etc.) before PPE is even considered.

On a parallel note, this BBC article may be of interest. I would, however, agree with the comment that often it is the employer who needs the training....

Simon

BUT no mention has been made about the use of PPE (Harnesss & Hardhats) over the height of 2.5m above ground (A legal requirement I hasten to add).

Can you quote a source for that? My understanding is that WAHR does not specify any specific heights (other than the requirement for inspection of work platforms over 2m).

My apologies, Yes you are correct WAHR doesn't specify a height.

However during a trainig session (in 2006) to introduce the regulatons the trainer from HSE stated that "It will be a requirement of WAHR 2005, to use PPE fall arrest eqipment when working at heights 2.5m above ground level"

WAHR Schedule 4 (Regulation 8c) & Schedule 5 Part 1 (Regulation 8d) both make references to Fall Arrest systems. But there is no specific mention of the minimum height that the equpment is required to be used from.

(Before any other questions arise, I have re-read the WHAR, http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/uksi_20050735_en.pdf )

There was some debate at the time over a fixed height rule. The construction industry lobbied hard to retain the 2m rule present in the construction regs, whilst many others said that it should be risk based. The latter group prevailed.

Of course, many fall arrest devices need at least 2m to deploy correctly (lanyard + fall arrest + height of person + upright mic stand on stage!), so the risk assessment would show that they weren't the correct PPE to use anyway ;-)

Simon

Very true.

One of the interesting things to come out of this is debate is how the authorities (local or otherwise) interpret the Regs.

My local authority (LBRUT) only seem to take an interest if we're using a ladder to work outside.

Last week we were replacing some blown Son-t bulbs in our outside lights using a ladder, the local licensing officer came over (their office is next door) and started to try and enforce the regs, I pointed out that we were only 2.5m above the ground at head height and on the third rung up.(Proved by the use of a tape measure).

If we'd have been using the Genie lift or the Zip up tower he probably wouldn't have bothered visiting.

What exactly was he trying to enforce?

Fall arrest on a ladder?

Yup believe it or not.

I know this is OT to the OP but out of interest, where was this local authority officer suggesting you attach a piece of fall arresting equipment?

Archived