Freeatrical

weatherhead

As an ardent linux user, who has found free software to cope with just about any computing task I need, I am annoyed at the lack of live sound and lighting and show cueing/control software available for it, especially considering linux is the perfect OS for doing this kind of thing in terms of stability etc.

Anyway, since my C++ and qt skills are improving drastically at the moment (no academic work to do this year!), I decided to try and rectify this by starting a project, freeatrical. It has been approved on sourceforge, and I'm currently drawing up detailed plans and coding guidelines. I'll post details of exactly what I'm planning on here very soon, and I don't think I'll be in any position to take feature requests any time soon.

Basically, I think that there are already usable lighting and live sound cue programs (QLC and rivendell respectively), although these could do with a lot of adaptation to the theatrical area. So the first planned thing is a cue timing/cue guide system for stage managers etc. Eventually I plan to be able to integrate this over the network with sound and lighting programs, for purposes of communicating cues etc.

What I do need is people to help. If any of you out there are C++ coders as well as technicians, and into open source, please drop me a line. I've programmed a few little bits and bobs before but never embarked on anything this ambitious. I sort of know where to start but it's just a project isn't really a project with only one person involved (plus a website manager)!

Look forward to hearing your responses!

You mention a website manager. I'd be happy to lend a hand with a web presence. I can't do design, but I used to have a good grip of PHP/mySQL etc and I currently have a bit of a love affair with Drupal. If you need any help in this regard or in terms of documentation or other organisational tasks, I'd be delighted to help.

Thanks, guys. I meant that a web design guy was the only thing I DO have at the moment. ** laughs out loud **, but I'll keep you guys in mind.

So far some people have said to me that they think there is no point in doing this as it wouldn't be used in big shows where they use massive expensive software packages. To be honest I think this is missing the point - that's not my intended audience. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who'd use an open source sound/light cueing program if it was out there, just like people use openoffice. Some use it because they can't afford MS office, but now some use it because they believe it is actually better.

Anyway, thanks again for the . Actually, someone to help with the documentation would be incredibly useful :blink:

lighting and live sound cue programs (QLC and rivendell respectively)

The biggest problem,and one of its best points ive found with QLC is you have build your own desk,great if you've loads of time or the same rig every time,but a pain if want to urn up and plug into a diffrent rig every time.Not heard of rivendell,but will go and take a look

Best of luck,and if you need a crash test dummy let me know,I can get most software to crash :blink:

I can be a c++ coder however sadly not for this project: I'm busy working on a lighting desk :blink:

In closely related news we fully intend to port our software to linux just as soon as we get it finished for windows!

and live sound cue programs (QLC and rivendell respectively),

Rivendell is really targeted at Radio automation, but it has parts that could be lifted for a dedicated sound playout tool, and I have used the sound panel (A cart wall style application) for drop in effects on a few rather improvised shows.

It is probably rather heavyweight for this application, being heavily reliant on the mysql database and grabbing exclusive use of whatever soundcard it is allocated. At present doing timestretch is dependant on having access to an audiosciences card that is not exactly common faire in theatre. Our application probably does not need the netcatching, scheduled up and downloads, rotating cuts in a cart, hard start times (as rivendell understands the concept).... However, loop points, variable timestretch and playback speed (independently), would be nice for a theatre app.

I have a version of its core audio playout engine that supports timestretch in software, but again it is a little radio centric, something more like a routing matrix with a dozen or so playback decks feeding it would probably make more sense for a theatrical playout app, and actually would not be that hard to write (I have some classes for various bits of that puzzle). It might be interesting to be able to drop arbitrary FX plugins into each crosspoint of the matrix?

Actually, in many ways the interesting bit is the whole front end for building cue lists, and quickly (on the fly) modifying them at need, the workflow here when there is a lot happening is **Interesting**.

Regards, Dan (Who has done a lot of work on Rivendell).

Archived