Old lighting desk and barndoors

steve h

Morning All

I have recently taken over as a drama technician in a school outside oxford and have been slowly working my way through their lighting cupboard. I've come up with a couple of interesting finds in there that im after more information on and was wondering if anyone knows about.

The first thing is an"Eltec 2 series" Analogue Desk by Theatrecraft. Its an 18 channel desk in a fetching shade of grey!

The second items are a large pile of rectangular barn doors. They are made by concord and are part number 4980. They are mostly unopen (theres about 15/20 of them) and the paperwork with them is dated 1983! I've phoned up concord but they only have information for 5 digit product numbers!

Any information welcome!

Steve

edit: will add pics when I get home!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a look on Google for the board, no joy ;)

Think I remember that the barndoors may be the ones that Concord brought out as "cheapy replacement" ones for Patt 743s or 123's.

Don't know if Richard at RB Lighting (020 8977 9665) would be able to help on this, he's a sort of "font of all knowlage", failing him try contacting White Light on 020 8254 4600 .

Hope this throws some light on a dusty corner.

Thanks Steve, may try those numbers

I did do a google before posting and haven't been able to find a thing.

Size of the gap in the barn door is 5inches by 3 inches

as I've said...pics to come!

Steve

The Eltec desk is a brand that Lancelyn Lighting used to supply - which makes sense, because theire HQ is very near to you in Oxford. If you ever need spares for it, give them a call - the faders in particular are a bit tricky to find, and LL is the only place that I could locate replacement faders when we had one in for repair from a local school recently.

Re. the barndoors - don't Concord make domestic/commercial light fittings rather than theatrical ones? Perhaps, being Concord (and square, rather than the usual 'tapered' shape) they might be from some sort of display fittings?

Thanks gareth, may give lancelyn a call for more info! - but as for getting spares for them, the reason why im looking for info is as to whether I should sell, chuck, or keep.

Also found in the lighting cupboard today:

Strand LBX lighting board - works! - info

Zero88 Lightmaster XLS - haven't been able to find the power pack yet! - info

Strand Quartzolor Castor (2kw) - works! - info

Selecon ZS1200 - 8-16deg profile - works!

All of these are up for the same process...we're pretty well equipped here as you may find from other posts so im really not sure what to do!

Steve

edit: spelling, added info links

Thanks gareth, may give lancelyn a call for more info! - but as for getting spares for them, the reason why im looking for info is as to whether I should sell, chuck, or keep.

Also found in the lighting cupboard today:

Strand LBX lighting board - works!

Zero88 Lightmast XLS - haven't been able to find the power pack yet!...

It's (the Zero88 XL) mains operated and will run either DMX or Analogue (postive going) to dimmers - still a very sought after desk (mainly for the Auxiliary control section)

LBX is a great board for learning Strand Logic, and a good backup for all generic systems.

It's worth firing it up and seeing what the software version is, and how many channels it can do!

And the Selecon 1200 series were nice, I had them when I were still at school. Not as good as the pacific mind but not bad none the less!

What to do? Keep 'em! ;)

However much I would like to keep em, I cant see myself ever using them...our spaces are too small really for a 8-16 deg beam, and a 2kw fresnel will kill anything else - out next brightest would be the 750w source 4s we have

Anyway, as promised here are the pics...its the barn doors im more interested in as ive never seen anything that shape, but as gareth says there a chance they're just domestic!

http://photos-001.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/117/23/505464001/n505464001_804721_1388.jpg

http://photos-001.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/117/23/505464001/n505464001_804722_1960.jpg

http://photos-001.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/117/23/505464001/n505464001_804723_2474.jpg

btw, as you can see theres not the usual slot for the barndoors to slip down in front of the lamps, instead they come with bolts to screw them in!

Thanks for all your help

Steve

Anyway, as promised here are the pics...its the barn doors im more interested in as ive never seen anything that shape, but as gareth says there a chance they're just domestic!

btw, as you can see theres not the usual slot for the barndoors to slip down in front of the lamps, instead they come with bolts to screw them in!

Thanks for all your help

Steve

They aren't custom to fit onto a 'bodge' flood light are they? i.e. a £5 flood from Focus/B&Q?

As Gareth quite rightly says, Concord (or Concord Marlin) make a huge variety of architectural light fittings. The barndoors look like ones that would fit on a display flood light similar to the one in the attached link.

Have a look if there are any track lighting systems around your building!

Link

As Gareth quite rightly says, Concord (or Concord Marlin) make a huge variety of architectural light fittings. The barndoors look like ones that would fit on a display flood light similar to the one in the attached link.

Have a look if there are any track lighting systems around your building!

Link

Thanks ocfe, I will keep an eye out around the school and see if I can find them, however if the date of 1983 they may not be around anymore...I was mainly after information to be able to them on, but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen!

Steve

Strand Quartzolor Castor (2kw) - works!
However much I would like to keep em, I cant see myself ever using them...our spaces are too small really for a 8-16 deg beam, and a 2kw fresnel will kill anything else

well if you want to donate the 2k fressy to a poor hard up arts centre not that far from you.............

Thanks for all your replies so far, PMs about to be sent to the two guys above.

also im sure you spotted I posted the same image twice, this is now changed to show all 3 pics I took! - a much better look at the barn doors!

Thanks again

Steve

Archived