Scripts

david.elsbury

Hi there

I am currently operating lights for a small amdram play and I read my lighting cues off a (paper) script, one for each half of the play. I was wondering if this is what happens for all productions- specifically:

-School (~1wk season)

-Amatuer Theatre (~2wk season)

-Professional

-Professional long term/touring

I would imagine that if scripts are not read off paper, they would be off computer? Or do you use paper, just in clear pockets (clearfiles in NZ)? Or cue lines, etc prompted from the Stage Manager?

Thanks for your responses :** laughs out loud **:

David

Paper all the way! I personally find paper much easier to read off than a computer and much less strain on the eyes. It's also a lot easier to make notes on which can go on right up until the last performance. Paper doesn't crash or have to boot up before you can read it, it can easily be read on public transport and anywhere else (within reason).

Some people no doubt do use plastic wallets however I prefer mine loose with just a single treasury tag through.

don't forget that on a lot of larger shows the board op will not actually follow the script but will instead go off there knowledge of it and the the deputy stage managers prompts.

I'm not sure what you mean by script do you mean the script (as in the text of a play) or the cues lists. Sorry read your post wrong. At school we mainly use the text (in book form) and then a cue list (on paper as computers are a lot more difficult to read off quickly) Cues in the industry (I think) are done from scripts and the atual cue lists on computer or mainly the lighting desks memory and referenced to the script (stored as cues). (this is how I've seen it done anyway, but I stand corrected by any professionals) For live events such as concerts (rock) I've mostly seen it done by mixing effects and pallets pre defined before the show and mixed as they go along (they are not scripted :** laughs out loud **: ) Although I would not know about large music events.

Hope this helps.

:** laughs out loud **:

From a concert point of view:

I tend to get a set list and add notes, this is of course only the case if there is a set list in the first place. Many bands will play the same things and do very similar banter etc at every venue they play at so you tend to get to know what happens when. I find it useful (partly because I have a crap memory) to write notes on each song, it just saves the embarrassing moments where you think its going to end, snap up a load of pars, blinders or whatever and then they keep on playing.

I used to add rough timings however in a live situation these vary too much to be of any use. A while back I toured with a swedish punk band who managed to stretch a song out to three times the length I had written down as 'there was a good crowd' and on another night played the first five seconds of a song then stoped just to catch me out.

:** laughs out loud **:

On the very few occasions I use paper scripts nowadays (i.e. small studio performances that aren't touring) I have to use a Paper script because otherwise you can forget making notes.

On the last tiney Studio gig I did in this fashion me and the Sound/AV op had pages and pages of notes just for a 25m show - 30odd LX cues, 20odd AV and SFX cues etc etc etc

Computers just don't work.

Stu

paper all the way for me

for theatre I tend to use the script marked up with the cues on one page, and notes on a blank facing page.

for bigger shows I keep an eye on my copy of the show and use it as a back up to any cues the dsm may forget to mention in a busy moment ( :** laughs out loud **: god forbid)

for concerts, I try to get a copy of the playlist and mark it with notes on the mood, time[ish] and any other stuff I find out.

I then make up the basics on submasters and moods I want to use. then any specific scenes are set on later faders [mainly for pearl series though]

scans are normally on another level of the roll and core images are on all rolls - I.e foh, mols and acls .

cheers

andrew

Paper has the following advantages:

1) Low cost

2) Portable

3) Reliable

4) Works without power (Mag-lite can be used if no ther light source available)

5) Does not illuminate the whole area

6) Easy to use

7) Low intrinsic value - won't get stolen

8) Universal - well formatted anyone should be able to use it.

I do a variety of shows, cued and uncued, simple and complex. The form of script that I get varies from a French's book, through a straight photocopy to a single sided A4 blow-up (Preferred).

The form of my script depends on how lazy I am.

For a simple uncued short run, I scribble on the script. If I am being cued for a complex show, have the script in my preferred format, I lay it out in the same way as an SM script with columns on the blank page facing the script and a line drawn across to the cue.

In a 'there are just a couple of sound cues, can you operate sound as well?' situation you can have a second column for sound.

HTH

Ellis

My cue sheets normally end up as a flowchart with line/visual Cue at the top, LX cue, Sound Cue, Standby next cues in a bubble, line then the same again. this zigzags across the page. I am normally doing three tasks at once (hotel evening entertainment technician - LX, Sound and followspot) and this is quicker to look at. If in a theatre lighting context, it would be in a spreadsheet, printed off.

As an aside, I have just been shown one of my Great Grandfather's scripts, from 1935, which has been binded in the following manner. Blank page, page of script, blank page, script and so on. Then when the script is on the right, lines are drawn to the left hand blank page for notes and movement, and vise versa. The notes are just the same as I have seen today, but in the neatest handwriting, in ink, and not a mistake/crossing out! No lighting cues, but one saying "Lower curtain dead slow."

I once worked on a pro show in which the DSM was using a laptop because they felt the script would keep changing through rehearsals and that would be the quickest way to keep up. It was a disaster, as typing in changes all the time took too much time and people were always wanting 'the new version' which, of course, would never be finnished until after the tech rehearsal which would be too late. The DSM spent too much time with her nose in the laptop and a printer whirring away in the background. Ironically, it actuall generated more paper than usual, not less! Never again!!!

There is such a lot to be said for paper, pencil and rubber.

I once worked on a pro show in which the DSM was using a laptop...

Did someone have to type out the script beforehand?

Or was it available electronically? Where from?

My school is doing "Footloose" the musical later this year (August) and even if we dont use a computer to view off it would still be very handy to type in LX/Sound/Spot cues and print it off.

Thanks

-david-

I once worked on a pro show in which the DSM was using a laptop...

Did someone have to type out the script beforehand?

Or was it available electronically? Where from?

It was an original script (and thus came as a Word file) - hence why it kept changing.

Don't forget, by the way, that if you do use a laptop, when a line or section is cut, DON'T use the 'delete' facility - simply cut it and paste it into either another file called 'cuts' or add an extra page(s) to the end. That way if it's put back later you've still got it. WIth pencil and paper a cut is easily replaced with the aid of a rubber.

P.S. Sorry to take a while to reply: been lighting a show!

im very pro computer. however, when was the last time your papper crashed during a tech?

reminds me very much of the writing in space thing, the USA spent two years and millions of dollars developing zero gravity pens whereas the russians simply used a pencil...

Archived